Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driving a Brat later - any ideas?

I'm going to see a 78 Brat in a few hours. The window sticker says $1000 which is absurd because it needs tires, has no jump seats, windshield is siliconed up, dash is trashed, wheels are peeling and rusty, dents, bad paint, ect. It's a beater. However, if it runs and drives well then I'll offer him $250 that I think is pretty generous. Anybody in the area is welcome to come along - any suggested lines for talking down the price?:brow::brow:

I'm going to see a 78 Brat in a few hours. The window sticker says $1000 which is absurd because it needs tires, has no jump seats, windshield is siliconed up, dash is trashed, wheels are peeling and rusty, dents, bad paint, ect. It's a beater. However, if it runs and drives well then I'll offer him $250 that I think is pretty generous. Anybody in the area is welcome to come along - any suggested lines for talking down the price?:brow::brow:

Excessive silicon around the windsheild can be hiding a rusted windsheild frame.

nipper

I just went back and took a poo load of pictures all of which are here http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/SakoTGrimes/1978%20Brat%20for%20sale/?start=all

The windshield, wheels and underbody appear to be sturdy. Underneath looks very solid, no rust holes no off-road bashings. Bed has a skidplate in it and looks good, just minor surface rust. I was just sticking the camera under the car since I didn't want to crawl around. Loose exhaust bolt WTF!? Look at how it's angled. Weird. The Y pipe looked fine from the front of the car. Rear suspension looked fine. Engine and rear diff are filthy as hell, might need some new seals. Exhaust is questionable. What's with the thing behind the gas tank? Gotta love the pimpin plush interior :)

I suppose maybe I could offer $350 if 250 gets a "no way"

doesn't look bad at all but not for $1000! The main areas on these to look for rust are the bottoms of the front fenders, behind the wheels. Poke at it hard with your finger. If it doesn't go though, then they should be pretty solid. The exhaust looks to be all original. The piece you were wanting to know what it was is not stock. Could be part of that nasty looking trailer hitch, which you should get rid of! Interior looks a little beat but at least that dash is either original or has been replaced from another Brat ("A69L" is the vin code for a Brat). The wheels on it don't appear to be stock. The wagon wheels are EA81 style, and the steels are probably EA81s as well. Engine looks to need the following seals...

front and rear crank seals

oil pan gasket

valve cover gaskets

oil pump gasket

Should be good as new after a few pressure washings!

If I were you, I'd get in on a new windshield gasket because the old gaskets like to crack right there letting water in, which is probably why it was siliconed up. I've seen it done on probably 7 gen 1 vehicles.

The first whats this is the brace for the trailer hitch. The brace is broken, and i can't tell if the hitch is home made or what.

The second is a missing exhaust stud, easy enough to fix/replace. Engine needs to be resealed, and the rear diss has a leak someplace.

I agree that this is a 300-500 dollar car.

nipper

OK I just got back from driving it. The straight poop: It's a 1980, not 78 Engine runs good, not great but good, doesn't shake or make any obvious bad noises. Transmission whines (low on fluid?) gears 1-4 work, didn't try reverse. 4WD lever causes 4WD light to go on, I assume the rears engage but didn't drive in 4. Shifter is sloppy as hell, 1st feels like neutral you can move it around so much. Exhaust smokes like a diesel burning used motor oil until it gets warmed up - my lungs hurt. Speedo reads about 55-65% of actual speed. Dome light works! Headliner is good. Dude pulled the engine out to put in a new clutch which engages fine, he took off the valve covers while he was at it and resealed them with that orange silicone gasket maker stuff.

I like it. It needs just enough stuff to knock the price down but it's nothing I can't handle with some USMB help. I hope I don't hurt his feelings too much with my lowball offer, real nice guy, but too optimistic about price.:rolleyes: This is the best message board ever!

Heat works too, one axle clicks a little

OK I just got back from driving it. The straight poop: It's a 1980, not 78 Engine runs good, not great but good, doesn't shake or make any obvious bad noises. Transmission whines (low on fluid?) gears 1-4 work, didn't try reverse. 4WD lever causes 4WD light to go on, I assume the rears engage but didn't drive in 4. Shifter is sloppy as hell, 1st feels like neutral you can move it around so much. Exhaust smokes like a diesel burning used motor oil until it gets warmed up - my lungs hurt. Speedo reads about 55-65% of actual speed. Dome light works! Headliner is good. Dude pulled the engine out to put in a new clutch which engages fine, he took off the valve covers while he was at it and resealed them with that orange silicone gasket maker stuff.

I like it. It needs just enough stuff to knock the price down but it's nothing I can't handle with some USMB help. I hope I don't hurt his feelings too much with my lowball offer, real nice guy, but too optimistic about price.:rolleyes: This is the best message board ever!

reseal the engine and put it into my wagon:brow: You know you want it!

I got pics of it if you're interested:-p

• 2 weeks later...