Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help me... What's it worth?

Well it looks as if my stint with subaru will be a short lived one. I have owned a 90 Justy for over a year now and this board has been very helpful. I am hoping it will also prove helpful in my final task with the car; cutting my losses.

What I have is a 90 Justy MPFI 4x4 5spd. It has 169K on it. AC, doesn't work. Overall the body is in decent shape, a few rusty spots but nothing most people wouldn't mind ignoring. It did, until today, run great. It has developed a pretty bad knock and I suspect the oil pump has gone out but am not entirely sure. It will still start and run I am sure, but I don't want to do any more damage. The only research I have done on the oil pump is on this board from other's experiences.

Anyway long story short I am tired of working on it, and tired of trying to find parts for it... so I am hoping someone could use it for parts, or might want to look into fixing the current problem. The trans, 4x4, all work great. I have put two new halfshafts in it and inner/outer bearings on one rear side. This in addition to the normal maintaince. I'd like to think it's worth 800 bucks. What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

in this case the market will not dictate what you can sell the car for. luck and timing will, there's no way we can help you decide how much it's worth. to get top dollar you would need to find someone local or the unlikely far away person that REALLY wants one and can't find it, that wants to fix this car up and make it what they want. most people that are capable of doing that kind of work also know they can find one for a couple hundred or less...or free and fix it. but in the rare even that you find someone who knows and wants a justy, you might get top dollar. more than likely that will take awhile to come across someone like that.

this forum is a good place to start - place an ad with pictures in the for sale section. the good thing is that there is considerable subaru interest on this board, the bad thing is that skilled soob people can typically pick up cars for nowhere near top-dollar, which is what anyone desires when selling a car.

With a rod knock.... $100 or less simply because no one that knows how to fix it will be willing to pay any more, and no one else in all the land is going to give you anything at all for a non-running 20 year old econo-soob. Sorry, but if you want $$ for a car, it has to at least take someone on a test drive. I could actually do the work, and wouldn't pay more than $100 - after I trailer it home, find a motor, swap it out, etc, etc I'm into it more than than a decent running justy would have cost in the first place. Besides that I've bought running soobs with much, much simpler problems for $100.

GD

• 2 weeks later...
It did, until today, run great. It has developed a pretty bad knock and I suspect the oil pump has gone out but am not entirely sure. It will still start and run I am sure, but I don't want to do any more damage. What do you think?

Jon

Hey,

Anyone know how to get in touch with oronocova? The sequence of events he describes doesn't jive with the "normal" oil pump failure mode in these cars. I suspect it's something else, possibly a timing belt tensioner. Thanks in advance if you can help.

Doug

With a rod knock.... $100 or less simply because no one that knows how to fix it will be willing to pay any more, and no one else in all the land is going to give you anything at all for a non-running 20 year old econo-soob. Sorry, but if you want $$ for a car, it has to at least take someone on a test drive. I could actually do the work, and wouldn't pay more than $100 - after I trailer it home, find a motor, swap it out, etc, etc I'm into it more than than a decent running justy would have cost in the first place. Besides that I've bought running soobs with much, much simpler problems for $100.

GD

Some things are better left un-said. This post has no usefull info, unlike many of your posts. It may even have harmed the original poster. Think about it. Gary gave good helpful, reasoned, advice. Why couldn't you just let it be this time?

It's a 17 year old Sube. It's a 4WD 5 speed. I'm positive he can easily get more than $100.00 for it. etc, etc.

I try to keep three things in mind. Is it true, is it necessary, is it kind. Now don't try so hard to live up to your sig GD. I will not argue with you on this.

Some things are better left un-said. This post has no usefull info, unlike many of your posts. It may even have harmed the original poster. Think about it. Gary gave good helpful, reasoned, advice. Why couldn't you just let it be this time?

It's a 17 year old Sube. It's a 4WD 5 speed. I'm positive he can easily get more than $100.00 for it. etc, etc.

I try to keep three things in mind. Is it true, is it necessary, is it kind. Now don't try so hard to live up to your sig GD. I will not argue with you on this.

LOL its called the truth, if he doesnt like it or gets his feelings hurt too bad, dont sell it here

He asked for our opinion. If you want to give him more than $100 for it, that's your loss. I bought my current DD for $100, and the one before that for $100. Neither had rod knocks, and the current one is a 4WD D/R 5 speed, the other was a 4WD auto. I drove both home.

I gave my educated opinion based on the 4+ years I've been on this board. If he didn't want to hear it, then he shouldn't have asked. Sometimes the truth sucks.

GD

FWIW I got more than anyone here mentioned the very next day. I was very upfront and the new owner knew exactly what he was getting and exactly why I was getting rid of it. Heck, he had it in his garage for a whole day at his disposal before I even got back and signed the title. Somethings are indeed better left unsaid. That being said, I'll say no more.