Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good to know if you do a waterpump on an EA82

Well with the upcoming snow threat I figured it would be a good idea to to fix my leaking water pump. mine was leaking from the lower radiator hard hose. The O ring failed. I figured while I was there I would just do it all.

After putting the new pump on i went to slide the hard line and it wouldn't go. I used some lubricant to try and slide it in, but nothing. After an hour of trying and cursing I pulled off the water pump and sat it next to the factory one. And I found the difference. Where the hard line slides in on the factory one it it has a taper to help slide the O ring in. The new pump does not have this. So after trying to figure out what to do, I took a file to it. That was the point of no return. Well a simple file didn't cut it so I had to improvise with my drill press. I changed the pulleys and made it spin as fast as i could and put a drill bit in it. I made a half rump roast milling machine. But it worked, i was able to put a taper on the hole and was able to slide the hard line with the O ring in. But sadly I messed up my O ring during my hour of trying to make it fit so I have to get a new one from Subaru.

So I thought I would share the info for anyone that wants it. Just check your new water pump to see if that taper is cast in to the aluminum or you will have to do it yourself.

Factory one, notice the taper on the lip

5980da36.jpg

The new one, notice the taper I had to put on it.

5980da36-1.jpg

never seen that one before. interesting. do you know the brand of the water pump?

if it was leaking out of the metal pipe where the o-ring is, that is replaceable without removing anything....all that timing belt, water pump removal is unnecessary to replace that o-ring. now, i'm a huge fan of having a new water pump though, so i totally understand installing a new one when you feel like. cheap and easy.

cant remember what brand it was off the top of my head and i am at work so I can't check. I wasn't completely sure it was the pipe before i took it apart so i planned for the worst and got the whole pump. when i pulled the pipe out the O ring was flat and broken so that's what i figured was leaking. It never over heated or anything just leaked a little antifreeze so i had to top it off ever few days. But I figure I have it off might as well do the whole thing.

never seen that one before. interesting. do you know the brand of the water pump?

if it was leaking out of the metal pipe where the o-ring is, that is replaceable without removing anything....all that timing belt, water pump removal is unnecessary to replace that o-ring. now, i'm a huge fan of having a new water pump though, so i totally understand installing a new one when you feel like. cheap and easy.

yeah i get the brand and put it on here tomorrow.

and it's not a real big deal. my subaru isn't my DD it's just my winter car

yeah, we need to know what brand of water pump that was, so we can avoid it.

It sounds as if you did the best you could... reinstalling the old waterpump would have been more bitter than being set back for 1 day..

Ok so the brand name was "CarDone Select". I got it from schucks and it's got a lifetime warranty, don't know if I would ever want to get another one though. I did notice one thing when i got the O rind from the dealer was it was a little thinner then the one that came with the new water pump. But still fit and is working great. So now I just wait and see if the snow shows or not. Cross my fingers, I want some white stuff to play in. Even if it's just for a little bit.