Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Would 185/80/R13 fit my EA81 Wagon

As the title says: Would 185/80/R13 tires fit without issues on my EA81 Wagon?

Calculated it out. Right now, its running 175/70/13. Stock is supposed to be 185/70/13. Seems to me 185/80/13 would be about 1 inch greater in radius than I'm running now. Its not too radical, so I'd think it would fit just fine. These also seem to be about the largest 13 inch tire I can get.

in case you werent aware, tirerack.com has a spec chart that you can find that lists the outside diameter of every tire they sell.. you can see that spec sheet for all the tires in your size range at once, or all the tire sizes of a given tire at once.

It shouldnt be too hard to find it, just start out by "shopping by size" and specify your 185/80.. then go from there. And from what I was aware, there were two different stock sizes, depending on trim/model, or something.. but they were 185 and 175, 70-series. thats why the label under the hood says stowage of punctured tire (except 185 series) or something like that.. the 175 fits, the 185 just barely squeaks in, and youre liable to break a retainer clip for the washer hose..

Good timing for this thread, I just got a set of 185/80/13 Firestones put on my wagon. There's no rubbing whatsoever, even at full-lock. I haven't had the suspension fully compressed yet, so there may be a touch of rubbing when that occurs, but as of now they fit spot-on!

And, they look a bit better than that smaller 175/70/13s that were on there.:grin:

Mike, Bill (LUVMYBRAT) is running a set of tires that size on his Brat and at the altitude, it makes it a little harder to stay at a constant speed on the freeway. He says that he has to keep it in 3rd gear to get from Cheyenne to Laramie for the most part, running like 4500rpms. Just something to keep in mind...

LUVMYBRAT's BRAT isn't a Turbo though is it?

I would think my Turbo would have the power to keep up to speed. I could see it getting a little tough in the mountains though.

Nope its not. The turbo brat got put down awhile ago.... The tranny is now in the red t-coupe Chef_Tim has and the engine is in his silver t-coupe. It was just something to keep in mind though.

I just bought 4 Cooper Dominator All-Seasons P185/80/R13 today. They certainly fill the wheel well. They look huge compared to the dinky 175/70/13s that were on there before. I noticed that my speedo was reading lower to keep up with traffic than before. We'll see how they work in the long run.

I noticed that my speedo was reading lower to keep up with traffic than before.

The difference is around 5%. If you are close to an interstate with mile markers you could test for the difference. One mile in 60 seconds is 60mph. Dink around until you get a 60 second mile then you can figure the difference. Don't forget to add this percentage to your gas mileage.

The difference is around 5%. If you are close to an interstate with mile markers you could test for the difference. One mile in 60 seconds is 60mph. Dink around until you get a 60 second mile then you can figure the difference. Don't forget to add this percentage to your gas mileage.

Difference is 6.3%. When the speedo reads 70mph, I should be going around 75mph. The difference is also about 500rpm to maintain the same speed. Should save a little gas I hope.