Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grill interchangability between legacies and OBW's?

*another bump*

I really need to know.

i heard or read recently that the outback grills wouln't fit in a legacy or vice-versa. I DON'T BELIEVE IT. they could not afford to make the car bodies different. the head lights are the same. i guess the bumper covers could be different, but thats a stretch.

my guess is that they are interchangeable. if you have the old one take it with you to compare to the new one to see if there is a difference. i bet not.

What year? The bumper covers are different between the 96-99 Outbacks and Legacys, at least the lower half anyway. The Outback have the large fogs and the Legacys the projector beam fogs. I'm not sure this would affect the grills though.

cheers,

matt

What year? The bumper covers are different between the 96-99 Outbacks and Legacys, at least the lower half anyway. The Outback have the large fogs and the Legacys the projector beam fogs. I'm not sure this would affect the grills though.

cheers,

matt

It's a 96,the bumper cover's are different from regular leg's,but it looks to me like the different grills I'm seeing are *functionally* identical with just cosmetic differences in the pattern of the grill.

I just wish I knew for sure beforehand.:banana:

I'd use my old one for a compare,but it pretty much disintegrated when the deer hit it...the biggest peice left was the Subaru emblem..and a third of that was missing.:mad:

It's a 96,the bumper cover's are different from regular leg's,but it looks to me like the different grills I'm seeing are *functionally* identical with just cosmetic differences in the pattern of the grill.

I just wish I knew for sure beforehand.:banana:

I'd use my old one for a compare,but it pretty much disintegrated when the deer hit it...the biggest peice left was the Subaru emblem..and a third of that was missing.:mad:

the attachment points on the top have to be the same. the only place the fit could possible be different is across the bottom of the grill. (headlights are identical) that means the top of the bumper cover would have to be different. i don't believe they are.

besides even if it doesn't fit you can resell it. people are always looking for grills. how much does it cost?

I got a 96 Legacy grill off eBay and it fit perfectly on my 99 Legacy Outback Limited..

The one difference is the badge is silver, where the Outback's Subaru badge was gold. Not sure if just on the Limited or all the Outbacks..

The little Outback logo just clips on (or off). I was able to move my Outback logo to the regular Legacy easily.

On a related note, I'd like to find replacement grill snap-in clips for under the hood somewhere. They tend to get brittle and break over time.

-Eric