Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale fan selector not changing

picked up a loyale for a buddy, gave it to him today but have a quirk. no matter what button is pushed, air only comes out the vents. not a huge issue, except that defroster is almost a necessity for safety reasons.

anyone help me out on where to look or what part may be to blame for that? "the dash must come out" is not what i'm hoping to hear!

1992 Loyale PT4WD

Guessing the vacuum line to the white canister (which should be on the passenger side firewall in the engine compartment) came un-done....

Bingo, this is a vacuum switch, and it needs vacuum supply to switch. The vacuum supply comes off the intake manifold towards the rear, passenger's side of the engine bay, and goes to a white canister in that same corner of the engine bay. then out of the canister, along the trunkline, into the cabin.

The engine is probably sputtering a little, too?

curious what the problem would be if the vents go to the defroster and vents, but not the floor? Vacuum problem too?

Possibly a bad switch? the switch literally switches the vacuum pressure to one of several ports, and vacuum pressure at that port is what activates that subsystem.. More likely, the vacuum line on the back of your switch for the floor setting is off. Take your gauge pod apart and check it out, there are four (i think?) vacuum lines coming off the back, and the one supply line. it should be fairly obvious. that is not to say it will be fairly QUICK.. :rolleyes:

The above answers will most likely fix it for you.

Also, there's also a connector for the vacuum hose inside the car. It's on the tunnel, under the dash and just to the right of where the driver's right foot goes at the edge of the carpet. If it is disconnected, you'll get the same symptoms.

gah! well i broke the solenoid by the thermostat (purge control solenoid i believe) and pulled it out, which required removing two vacuum lines that just sit there sucking wind..and the engine idles but it's rough.

could this be the cause?

thanks for the offer connie, that's great. he's 3 hours away so if i have to go back down there i'll likely want to take that dash piece with me just in case...i'll keep it in mind if there's no vaccuum issue.

thanks for the offer connie, that's great. he's 3 hours away so if i have to go back down there i'll likely want to take that dash piece with me just in case...i'll keep it in mind if there's no vaccuum issue.

The PCS shouldnt cause this...But I have heard about vacuum lines being cracked with age etc ...I know sometimes with Bucky when he is cold you have to play with the buttons to get it to switch over..once its warmed up its fine.. I had a complete dash that I stole all to controls and stuff from in case any were needed..If you need something I can get it out to you ASAP.

gah! well i broke the solenoid by the thermostat (purge control solenoid i believe) and pulled it out, which required removing two vacuum lines that just sit there sucking wind..and the engine idles but it's rough.

could this be the cause?

That's most likely it. Now just look for the vacuum line coming off the white canister, and plug it back into the intake. Everything should start working after that.

-Dave

i actually plugged the old broken one back in and showed him how to replace it once i mail him a new one. so....i guess it may possibly be working now, i drove the car with the sensor completely removed. maybe it'll actually work with the broken sensor in place? we'll see. if the solenoid/vaccuum line isn't the problem i'll be back! thanks dudes!