Ultimate Subaru Message Board

question about 79 wagon

Yes, you can remove the axles. The transmission stubs have seals independent of the CV axle, it's not like the rear center drive shaft. You don't need to remove fluid.

Todd

ok heres another question, if i rerplaced the cv axles(which i did) and i didnt get new seals, would that cause the tranny to leak fluid? because thats what is happening now. i was thinking ti was the tranny front seal but iono

true, but is there a possibility that it COULD leak from the cv axle seals?

it is possible but the rear mains on these like to have a hissy fit after many years and many miles on them. I've had a couple gen 1s that have had a weep from the input shaft but the rear main seal is usually the main source of a leak. Replace it because if you don't, it'll eat your clutch up and then you'll have to replace it anyways.

true, but is there a possibility that it COULD leak from the cv axle seals?

Yes, but he was referring to having all the fluid run out by just removing the axle. If the seals were leaking, they would leak with or without the CV/axle.

I 2nd that it is the rear seal.

Todd

how can i remove my tranny w/o having to remove mt bolts from the exhaust mani.? im scared to try and remove them for the fear that i might break the bolts, and have to get them drilled out n replaced :(

or can i just pull out the engine and l leave the tranny on the car? what would be the more safer and easy way to go?

The exhaust has to come off, whether you drop the tranny or yank the engine. It's especially necessary to remove the exhaust on these cars because they have no cats (the non-Cali ones anyway) and thus the manifold assemblies reach back farther than the new Subarus.

Use lots of PB Blaster and be very careful. Do it slowly. Worst case scenario, the studs will unscrew out of the head with the nut, and then you can just screw them back in and Loctite them.

The exhaust has to come off, whether you drop the tranny or yank the engine. It's especially necessary to remove the exhaust on these cars because they have no cats (the non-Cali ones anyway) and thus the manifold assemblies reach back farther than the new Subarus.

Use lots of PB Blaster and be very careful. Do it slowly. Worst case scenario, the studs will unscrew out of the head with the nut, and then you can just screw them back in and Loctite them.

hmmm.NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT THAT WAY! :grin::banana::clap:

• 1 month later...