Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Still a newbie here...maybe I should have started here..

Hey all. I just found this site last weekend, jumped in on the Newer Generation board, got a lot of great advice....and inadvertantly stepped on some toes I guess. Allow me, if you have a couple minutes, to introduce myself. And maybe convince you that I meant no malice to ANYONE, with my comments or my credentials.

Name's Doug. I have been a car freak since I was a kid. My dad used to impress his friends by having me state the year and make of every car that passed by, at the tender age of 5... I have a tendency torwards the out- of- the- ordinary in my personal cars. My first car was a Saab, a 2-stroke 3 cylinder FWD, at a time when RWD was the norm here in the US. A lot of my friends laughed at that car, until it made it through a snowstorm that left all their Camaros and Mustangs stranded.. I had my share of 'muscle' cars later, including a 68 'Stang conv. I still own a 68 Fairlane ragtop, and have since 1976! I also have a 82 Jeep Scrambler, with all 3 tops, and <40k original miles. Toys, man... the one who dies with the most toys wins! After reading these forums, I realized I lied in a previous post. I did own a Subie before that I had forgotton about. A 79 4wd wagon. If you own so many cars for so many years.. LOL

For the past 29+ years, I have worked as a tech at a Nissan dealership, so naturally my daily drivers have mostly been Nissans. And there has been a lot of them. I also have, ever since entering the computer age, been posting and advising on a bunch of sites. Im not bragging, but a lot of similar people to you guys, that drive Nissans, have had stuff diagnosed by me, with nothing but a 'thanks' expected.. Which leads me to the point I wanted to make, here on the meet-greet.. 1) I genuinely LIKE helping out my fellow car people. 2) Anyone who knows me would tell ya, Im the last one to argue with anyone. period. 3) I dont post anything unless Im damn sure its correct.

That said, I hope Im still welcome here. Now that I got the engine outta the Outback (or am I sposed to call it a Legacy in 96?...I really prefer Outback) I'll be using my lunch hours to get the timing belt and heads off... this is gonna be a long project but with your encouragement, Im still happy I got involved. I think its gonna be a great driver when Im done. Take care, Doug

Hey Doug, glad to see another upstate New Yorker on the board!

Also glad to see you're not scared off by a little debate vitriol. Don't take it personal and feel free to continue to contribute to the discussion. The more knowledgeable folks with real experience sharing tips on the board the better.

And good luck with the Outback (yeah, "Outback" is fine). I think you'll really love it when you're done. They're just awesome up here in the Winter, not that we're getting much of a Winter this year, haha...

Welcome to the board...though I keep to the older gen section.I have noticed the knowledge of this board can not be frowned upon...These people ( myself included) love these cars and many of them have been working and dealing with them since the 70s.Subarus are unlike anything else out there ...I too have owned a ton of cars ( well over 30) and did my thing with the muscle cars ( 66 289 Mustang,70 289 Mustang Coupe,71 Mach 1 w/ 428 CJ Blown,65 Galaxie 500 XL Convert, Plus Corvair Monza Spider Convert,65 Karman Ghia Convert..bla bla bla). I have also owned 5 Subarus now..and sometimes the same problem can have 10 different ways to fix it. Dont take anythign said personally,take it as advice. Nobody here has any malicious intent what-so-ever..we just want to help other Subie owners keep thier cars and themselves happy.

And there isnt a better group of people on the planet;)

Wow..96....and I thought Bucky was new ( my 92 Loyale )

Welcome to the board...though I keep to the older gen section.I have noticed the knowledge of this board can not be frowned upon...These people ( myself included) love these cars and many of them have been working and dealing with them since the 70s.Subarus are unlike anything else out there ...I too have owned a ton of cars ( well over 30) and did my thing with the muscle cars ( 66 289 Mustang,70 289 Mustang Coupe,71 Mach 1 w/ 428 CJ Blown,65 Galaxie 500 XL Convert, Plus Corvair Monza Spider Convert,65 Karman Ghia Convert..bla bla bla). I have also owned 5 Subarus now..and sometimes the same problem can have 10 different ways to fix it. Dont take anythign said personally,take it as advice. Nobody here has any malicious intent what-so-ever..we just want to help other Subie owners keep thier cars and themselves happy.

And there isnt a better group of people on the planet;)

Wow..96....and I thought Bucky was new ( my 92 Loyale )

So Im not the only one that gives my cars names. Thanks for making me feel a little less weird. LOL. My Legacy has been Christened Sarah Subie, after my great aunt.

Hey Doug, glad to see another upstate New Yorker on the board!

Also glad to see you're not scared off by a little debate vitriol. Don't take it personal and feel free to continue to contribute to the discussion. The more knowledgeable folks with real experience sharing tips on the board the better.

And good luck with the Outback (yeah, "Outback" is fine). I think you'll really love it when you're done. They're just awesome up here in the Winter, not that we're getting much of a Winter this year, haha...

You sure are right about winter in these parts, I live on a lake that is normally safe for anything by now, it was still wide open water last week... I guess no trying out my old ice racing skills with the new Sube this year.. (where in Upstate NY are you?)

So Im not the only one that gives my cars names. Thanks for making me feel a little less weird. LOL. My Legacy has been Christened Sarah Subie, after my great aunt.

If you use your cars names enough everyone just gets to know them by thier name...Most people here know when I mention something being wrong with Bucky that its my 92 Loyale wagon..when I mention Rocky they are starting to know he is my new-to-me 88 XT6. Then there was Lucky LeCoupe..an 82 GLF ...and my friends are jsut as warped..we Have Shel and Becca and Ellie ( we love Ellie ) and Princess ( another xt6,a Brat,a Legacy and an SVX)..

You want to meet an interesting group of people..check out our thread on the Import car show at carlisle..all are welcome..so Enter Sarah and bring her down!!

My Fairlane conv. is named Henry. (Henry Ford, not so original) But Ive owned that car so long that everyone refers to 'him' as Henry. LOL My Scambler is Jerry the Jeep, also well known to family and friends. I named my Nissan truck 'Bruise' aka Bruce, because he is black and blue and looks pretty abused. Ok, now you know I'm nuts, maybe I fit in better. LOL.

You sure are right about winter in these parts, I live on a lake that is normally safe for anything by now, it was still wide open water last week... I guess no trying out my old ice racing skills with the new Sube this year.. (where in Upstate NY are you?)
Weather has been crazy lately. Normally Seattle winters are very mild and I remember living in NJ fondly. Taconic Auto Sports Club used to run regular ice khanas at a small lake just over the NJ/NY border about 90 minutes from where I lived. Weekly events for 6 to 8 weeks while the ice lasted. I suspect there haven't been any this year if TASC is still running them. Yea, and Seattle had the worst cold snap I've seen in the 20 years I've lived out here....about the same time as you guys had your "fake" spring weather.

Its the 258 straight 6, complete with original plastic, forever leaky valve covers

Mmmm...I heart Scramblers. One of, if not my very favorite Jeep model. In fact, I have a bet with my dad where if I win, he has to buy me a running Scrambler! Unfortunately, though, if I lose...bye bye to my beloved CJ-7...

Anyway, welcome aboard. It's a great place and I hope you are a member of JeepForum.com. Let me know when you plan on doing a 360 or 401 swap (you know you want to...) in that Scrambler and be sure to do a write-up.

+1 scramblers rule. Is it a 304 V8 or 258 straight 6?

They never came with a V8 from the factory. It would be the 6 or a four-banger 150 GM Iron Duke, or 151 AMC (depending on year).

Oh, yeah, and for anyone who will make rude comments to the Jeep owners on this board...Jeeps (well, AMC Jeeps, not Daimler-Chrysler), despite their quirks, are awesome. I don't care what anyone says.

Couldn't agree more, Thatswhatshesaid... I have no interest in owning any Jeep after the demise of AMC. Ive said for years that AMC deserved to survive and prosper, while it was Chrysler, building JUNK, that got the Govt. bail outs that rescued them from bankruptsy...it has always bugged me! And now, after the US govt. saved them from collapse all those years ago, they are owned by the Germans!! Believe me, that is not a good subject to bring up with my WWII vet father! JEEP?? Owned by the GERMANS?? agggh! That new Jeep Compass is a total joke, they should be ashamed. Ok, I'll get down off my soapbox. LOL

welcome, dont be scared off, when i started here i felt the same way. then it worked out. and as far as i know most of us name our subies, ive had 17 and 13 of them rhyme with oobie!:lol: , but the weird part is in my little world i see all subes as dudes:-\ ... dont ask me why...

my first was subie subobarubu, and when we wee wheelin, its su-baja-rubu:headbang: a beat to helll '87 gl wagon that went 487,000 miles without even a oil change(it did burn thru a quart every month):Flame:

well, have fun, and a word from the wise, look thru the stickies before posting questions, you will usually find what you are lookng for.

ninjaben43:headbang:

My first car was a SAAB!And the second to!.Ones a 87 900 and ones a 90 900.the only real diffenece between the two is the 90 has rear handbrake...Then I owned an 84 Brat.Now its a 87 wagon awaiting EJ swap...

Welcome to the board.As you can see I also have a thing for "unusual" cars...

wow.I haven't owned anything without a fourbanger or a manual tranny.or a car that is exclusivly RWD.

Gad I am gettin' old

I remember the "original" Scambler

and it did come with a V8

a 390 cid if I remember.

Was a connection with Hurst at the time

(shift as hard as you want but don't break your arm)

Any other "oldies" our there

amc-scrambler-1969a.jpg

Oh yea and welcome to the good ship USMB