Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best Manual EJ trans for gas mileage?

This will be a dedicated road trip vehicle, built for gas mileage. It was going to be an XT, but I changed my mind. Since I have two AWD soobs that I can drive at any time, this one can be a summer only FWD vehicle. I have a 1998 Legacy GT sedan and I'll be installing a FWD transmission in it.

Which FWD manual trans would be best for gas mileage in the EJ series vehicles, or does it matter? Is 1995 the latest FWD transmissions subaru offered? What kind of RPM's do these FWD trans pull at say 75 mph? Mine is currently AWD.

The JDM 5 speeds offered with the 1990 to 1994 EJ22 had a 3.700. With a 0.871 5th gear, so that sounds like your best bet.

Of course this is all Japanese market rubbish but still something for you to consider.

All info from my 1991 Subaru owners manual.

(My car must have a FWD 4.111 in it as it takes about 3000rpm for 60mph on 15inch rims)

0.871 fifth gear, that's the same as some of the older EA series vehicles had. sneaky soob guys.

Buy a civic?
i don't need car buying advice. i can buy subaru's much cheaper than civics and honda's don't have an EJ22 in them, which is what i want. if you buy the car, and retrofit an EJ22 in it for me, or pay all the costs, or pay for me to quit my work, quit my business and go to school to learn how to work on honda's then i'll consider a civic. do i need to keep going?

a civic is where it's at, but you won't have the reliability of Subaru.

In this country Hondas are known for being very reliable and economical, whilst Subarus are most frequently seen on the side of the road either out of gas or broken down....

But who the hell wants to be practical!? Making the sensible choice and buying a petrol powered wheelbarrow (civic) isnt nearly as much fun as trying to make a Subaru fit the bill.

0.871 fifth gear, that's the same as some of the older EA series vehicles had.

Our Dual Range box also had a 0.871 fifth gear and a 3.900 final reduction, i wonder how many of the other gear ratios are the same as in the EA series box....

In this country Hondas are known for being very reliable and economical, whilst Subarus are most frequently seen on the side of the road either out of gas or broken down....

But who the hell wants to be practical!? Making the sensible choice and buying a petrol powered wheelbarrow (civic) isnt nearly as much fun as trying to make a Subaru fit the bill.

Our Dual Range box also had a 0.871 fifth gear and a 3.900 final reduction, i wonder how many of the other gear ratios are the same as in the EA series box....

In over 25 Years of driving (at least 900K) I have only seen a handful of Subarus on the side of road! Numerous others of course.

I like Hondas and Toyotas, but only a Subaru can make me happy .

Buy a civic?

X2

It would seem a better investment than a tranny plus install. Especially when you will get much better milage even after you put the FWD tranny in the subaru.

I've been considering either a civic or diesel jetta but probably the civic because TDIs are $expensive$ and civics are probably way easier to work on/buy parts for.

2000 civic is rated at 27/39 I think. I can't remember. My girlfriend has one. I'm tempted. I will, of course, keep the subaru because it's AWD and I love it! But my legacy only gets about 23 mpg. I don't drive on the freeway hardly EVER so it's halfway between country roads and city. 23mpg is pretty much horrible. My toyota pickup got 18 or so. Bigger engine, bigger truck, ran terrible.

I like Hondas and Toyotas, but only a Subaru can make me happy .

+eleventymillion. I have a 3inch exhaust on my car, when i pass people it makes me smile. Also Subaru is just associated with rally and coolness whereas Honda is associated with old people leaving the turn signal on and boy racers with veetak yo'.