Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Isn't she just beautiful

Bahama blue is the color, rattlecan from Advance Auto. That is as close to WRB that the had.

I would not sell it, but would trade for a Brat, a Gen 1 Brat. I was going through my pictures last night, and found those. They make look good, better than up close.:lol:

did you just sand the body and paint it like that? or did you just slap it on?

did you just sand the body and paint it like that? or did you just slap it on?

I sanded just enough to rough up the surface, not to bare metal (in most places anyway). I did lots of wire brushing on rusty spots and used about i 20oz can of bondo in one big rusted through spot, and just to smooth out a couple other spots.

I sanded just enough to rough up the surface, not to bare metal (in most places anyway). I did lots of wire brushing on rusty spots and used about i 20oz can of bondo in one big rusted through spot, and just to smooth out a couple other spots.

and then you just sprayed the rattle can of paint on it? did you have any orange peel? or did you have to sand the paint at all and the re-spray it? im very interested in how you did it. i have allready sanded my car down to bare metal in some places, and in othe rplaces i just havent got to it, im thinkin i will just rough up the rest of the paint and then primer the whole thing white, and give it the white gloss coat that i was wanting to originally finish it off with :D

and then you just sprayed the rattle can of paint on it? did you have any orange peel? or did you have to sand the paint at all and the re-spray it? im very interested in how you did it. i have allready sanded my car down to bare metal in some places, and in othe rplaces i just havent got to it, im thinkin i will just rough up the rest of the paint and then primer the whole thing white, and give it the white gloss coat that i was wanting to originally finish it off with :D

Yes, pretty much. I wish I would have primered the whole thing though, some of the red is showing through now, and I will have to reapply. I didn't even clearcoat it.

I did remove the fenders, grill, doors and trunk for easier painting.

used to be this color:

14456decal1.jpg

so no sanding the rattle can paint? just the primer? in thinking i will sand the paint after i put about 2 coats of t on, and then re-apply 2 more and sand it with about a 1500 or 1600 grit and then buff the ************ out of it and call it a day

so no sanding the rattle can paint? just the primer? in thinking i will sand the paint after i put about 2 coats of t on, and then re-apply 2 more and sand it with about a 1500 or 1600 grit and then buff the ************ out of it and call it a day

Never sanded afterwards. Your idea sounds better. You can really see on my roof and on the hood of mine. Ther rest is ok. The big surface areas are the hardest.

Never sanded afterwards. Your idea sounds better. You can really see on my roof and on the hood of mine. Ther rest is ok. The big surface areas are the hardest.

sweet. just got back with about 6 cans of gray primer, and about 5 cans of gloss white and 1500 grit sand paper. oh and a wire wheel brush to rough up the rest of the rust and paint :P. cant wait to get it done! how long did it take you to get everything done? and did you use masking tape to cover all the chrome trim pieces?

sweet. just got back with about 6 cans of gray primer, and about 5 cans of gloss white and 1500 grit sand paper. oh and a wire wheel brush to rough up the rest of the rust and paint :P. cant wait to get it done! how long did it take you to get everything done? and did you use masking tape to cover all the chrome trim pieces?
Be careful with the wire wheel, they can leave some hard to sand out grooves. I used that rust primer stuff that turns black on rust, and clear on everything eles. Only used it on the rust though, to try to stop the spreading. I masked off everything that I didn't take off the car. I pulled the trim out of the aluminum and painted it, it's a pain to get back in. I used a rubbermallet and a peice of paper over the trim as not to mess up the new paint. How long, about 3 months lol. I had all the time in the world to do it.

I need to repaint a couple of places. I din't use primer everywhere:(

Oh yeah, start a "Beautiful" thread when you are done. I can't wait to see it!! Good luck.

Be careful with the wire wheel, they can leave some hard to sand out grooves. I used that rust primer stuff that turns black on rust, and clear on everything eles. Only used it on the rust though, to try to stop the spreading. I masked off everything that I didn't take off the car. I pulled the trim out of the aluminum and painted it, it's a pain to get back in. I used a rubbermallet and a peice of paper over the trim as not to mess up the new paint. How long, about 3 months lol. I had all the time in the world to do it.

I need to repaint a couple of places. I din't use primer everywhere:(

Oh yeah, start a "Beautiful" thread when you are done. I can't wait to see it!! Good luck.

omg its commin along sooo well! last night from like 8 to 11 i worked on the pass. side front 1/4 pannel and the rear. today i got the front drivers side 1/4 and both doors. i believe im gonna try and get the pass. side doors and drivers side rear 1/4 tomorrow. oh i also got the back hatch last night in primer. we messed around with the paint and hit the front 1/4 pannel on pass side last night. looks ok for the 1st coat of paint :D but i see drip spots and run lines :(

omg its commin along sooo well! last night from like 8 to 11 i worked on the pass. side front 1/4 pannel and the rear. today i got the front drivers side 1/4 and both doors. i believe im gonna try and get the pass. side doors and drivers side rear 1/4 tomorrow. oh i also got the back hatch last night in primer. we messed around with the paint and hit the front 1/4 pannel on pass side last night. looks ok for the 1st coat of paint :D but i see drip spots and run lines :(

Light coats are the way, many of them.