Ultimate Subaru Message Board

removing a/c condensor **PICS ADDED**

I wanna remove my a/c condensor, it is non-functional and makes a squeek at certain rpms(very annoying). I wanna remove it, but it is also what tensions that belt, which looks to only control the a/c, fan and runs around a guide pully, which appears to control nothing. I would obviously have to buy a shorter belt, but how to tension it:confused: .

Any Ideas?

I think it could run fine without that belt altogether, but then I'd have to hook up the electric fan (which I don't use).

What to do, what to do?

I wanna remove my a/c condensor, it is non-functional and makes a squeek at certain rpms(very annoying). I wanna remove it, but it is also what tensions that belt, which looks to only control the a/c, fan and runs around a guide pully, which appears to control nothing. I would obviously have to buy a shorter belt, but how to tension it:confused: .

Any Ideas?

I think it could run fine without that belt altogether, but then I'd have to hook up the electric fan (which I don't use).

What to do, what to do?

if your running the same engine as i am i litteraly just walked in from taking my ac stuff unter the hood out. the compressor, the radiator thing(blanking on name right now) all the lines and wiring( had to cut 2 blue and 1 black wire) and i shrink wrapped ity all until suimmer rolls around. its REALLY easy to take it out. but under the dash, it might be a little bit hard to do.

this is what mine looked like when i got finished with it about 30 minutes ago:

(and if any one really knows these cars, they will notice the small wire tuckage i have been working on :D)

subie engine front 1.jpg

subie engine front 2.jpg

subie engine front 3.jpg

So do you not use that belt at all?

I don't want to use my electric fan, cause I had to wire it with a switch, for something was wrong with it??? I like the belt driven fan.

So do you not use that belt at all?

I don't want to use my electric fan, cause I had to wire it with a switch, for something was wrong with it??? I like the belt driven fan.

oh, well with the belt driven fan, thats a different story. the easiest thing to do is to do this: wire your electric fan up to your coil. you wont have to worry about switches, it turns off when the car is off and uses very little power. plus the belt driven fan uses more power from the engine(i believe) than this way does

oh, well with the belt driven fan, thats a different story. the easiest thing to do is to do this: wire your electric fan up to your coil. you wont have to worry about switches, it turns off when the car is off and uses very little power. plus the belt driven fan uses more power from the engine(i believe) than this way does

hummm, I may just do that. Thanks for the Idea.:banana:

I have an original, "no ac" bracket for your alternator. It's comprises 2 pieces, the mount and the tensioner bar. From an EA71. Take the heavy compressor mount completely off the car!

$10

Todd

Can you post a pic of it?

My sister and her husband are moving to Dallas next week!! How's your weather these days??

It's a stock Subaru alternator holder. Nothing complicated. It was used on all NO AC EA71s and EA81s. Here's a graphic to help you.

Todd

On my car the alternator is powered by the inner belt, along with the water pump. The outer belt, powers only the A/C and belt driven fan.

. Are we talking about the same belt?

BTW. I can't see diagram:confused:

I then don't see how the belt driven fan will work? I wouldn't need what you have if I go without the outer belt and used electric fan. I don't need what you have in other words. Or I just confused:confused: Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the help, but I'm gonna just use the idle pully and make slots on the bracket where it bolts on, so I can adjust tension that way.

I thought you were going with just the electric fan. The BRAT came with a belt driven fan, with or without AC. The AC bracket for the compressor was added on importation to the states. It reconfigured the belt/fan set up.

So, if you want NO belt driven fan and just a stock configuration, you can use my bracket and my stock one groove pulley. Otherwise, just work it however you want.

Hope this helps.

Todd

I thought you were going with just the electric fan. The BRAT came with a belt driven fan, with or without AC. The AC bracket for the compressor was added on importation to the states. It reconfigured the belt/fan set up.

So, if you want NO belt driven fan and just a stock configuration, you can use my bracket and my stock one groove pulley. Otherwise, just work it however you want.

Hope this helps.

Todd

Thanks, I understand now. I can't find an Idler pully, so I bought a random pully and bolt and washers to fab my own. I will post pics when the carnage is done.

Hey Speedworthy,

Not to nag, and I know you said you need new bolts, but your washers are placed wrong. Each bolt should have 2 washers. One flat (regular) washer on the bottom, and the lock (split ring) washer on the top. The split washer goes up against the bolt head, not the bracket. Look around the engine, check out other bolts and washers, you'll see. Sorry, just trying to help. Your setup will loosen very quickly with the engines vibration.

Hey Speedworthy,

Not to nag, and I know you said you need new bolts, but your washers are placed wrong. Each bolt should have 2 washers. One flat (regular) washer on the bottom, and the lock (split ring) washer on the top. The split washer goes up against the bolt head, not the bracket. Look around the engine, check out other bolts and washers, you'll see. Sorry, just trying to help. Your setup will loosen very quickly with the engines vibration.

Thank you, yes, I do need to make a trip to the hardware store:lol:

The one where I have the washers backwards, the bolt would go through the lock washer, so I put it second. It only powers the fan, but really I would not have known it made a difference. I'll take all the advice I can get.