Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 90 Legacy (with a 1.8L oddly enough) just developed an odd hard start issue which I can't quite decide if it's cold weather related or not since it hasn't really warmed up yet. Occasionally, but getting more frequent it won't want to start and just crank over, but if the gas pedal is held to the floor which is usually FI taboo it fires right up. Any ideas as to what I should be checking? Is there a temp sensor or something that controls a choke function? Plugs and plug wires ar erecently new as well as IAC being recently replaced.

Thanks.

could it be the fuel pump, battery, injectors, or fuel filter?

I need to throw 4 gallons of xylene and 8 ounces of marvel mystery oil in the tank to do a real good 100 octane injector cleaning....I feel like my injectors may be a bit gummed up from years of soccer mom neglect by the previous owner.

The coolant temp sensor can do that, I got a CEL when mine went. When it needed to be replacee I had a warm start problem, it would start right up when cold.

If it's really a cold start issue, how about the plugs? My 2.2L Outback had a problem starting when it was really cold, it would crank and crank until the engine flooded and would only start by holding down the pedal to the floor. Changed the plugs and it went away.

It's worth a try.

cheers,

Matt

Thanks all, I'll try picking up a coolant temp sensor since they're fairly cheap.

As to the EJ18 I'm really not sure, I knew the motor had been replaced when I bought it earlier this year but I didn't find out it was a EJ18 until I replaced the power steering pump, on the plus side it gets 27-32 mpg...