EV1D911.jpg

EV01B31.jpg

EV0DA71.jpg

EV0D911.jpg

EV2D9D1.jpg

dreamweav1.jpg

EV11BF1.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

some evan's creek for you. a little bit of lower 311 and another intermediate trail at evan's. didn't get any photo's of upper 311 last time. broke my camera before i went up that trail last time. and upper 311 is up, up and over. not much photo oportunity, unless someone's hung up or stuck.

and you've still got a 5-speed. I'll have a running toyota with an auto, more flex, better gears, and 35s for about $2k....

and toyota auto tranny's suck!! there's no options for it like a real man's toyota with a 5 speed. :cool: :-p :Flame: if you are using a toyota with a manual tranny the tcase is gear driven and not chain driven. a lot stronger and gear kits and doublers to boot. if you gear it right you shouldn't even need to touch the clutch. i rarely touch the clutch when i'm crawling in my subaru... granted it has 3 times lower gearing than stock and still almost 20:1 lower than a stock toyota. my other toy... that's another story... 223:1 real man's yota :-p

it all depends on the setup, gearing, driver and what the obstacle sort of requires. like i said when lil' roo is up i'll get some rock climbing pics. a lot of the ones i posted of downhill, is because we were scouting the trail. so that is the only way i've been on it and the only time, i left to bootcamp the next month.

that was the last time i was at evans creek. i had a blast that day. his brat is still down? hmm...

Yea, extream moods..... Bull************. Ive taken my 85 hatch (stock) places that guyes wont take there trucks. I cant count how many lifted toyota's I,ve pulled out of holes or what ever. It starts with learning how to drive. All these dudes in there jeeps and pickups can eat ************, because I can follow them up and down trails all day long. I would like to show vids but we always end up with out cameras.

Soobs rock the noobs.

Savage']Yea' date=' extream moods..... [/quote']

4wheeling is a large part driver. but a capable and well built rig helps prevent hammer down wheeling and breaking stuff. yes, if you give someone that doesn't wheel a built rig, it's no better than giving him a stock one.

if you've done any highspeed rockcrawling in your stock suby, you'd know the damage toll. yes a stocker can make it a lot of places i've done it and watched it done. when i had my 4/3" and 27's i made it through a 4.5 rated wash in arizona. burnt the hell out of the clutch and had lots of rock rash, but i made it through and drove home... a couple months later, the car went through a few major changes. come down to az, and i'll get you in some ravines you'll wish you never entered with your stocker... :Flame:

Finally. That's more like it. That's what I wanted to see.

Although a lot of that is still just going down hill. I'm not saying Subarus won't go up, I would just like to see some pictures and video of them going up that stuff. :)

Cheers,

So I wonder. . . How come your aren't hitting up the AUSubaru board? Those guys lay claim to the gnarliest offroading you can do in a Subaru. (Although I still haven't seen any pics to back that up) They'll tell you they invented the sport. . .

As for wanting to see pics and video of Soobs going up stuff like that. The video exists, (the rock climb under the power lines at Reiters for example) you just live too far away to send off my hard earned video to. For a couple hundred bucks, I can buy a ticket and show up anywhere in the US to kick the crap out of anyone I find out is pirating my vids. (I'd do it too ;) ) AU is just too far away to police. See, the cool thing is: Folks have to trade me a physical addy for my vids. :)

Savage']Yea' date=' extream moods..... Bull************. Ive taken my 85 hatch (stock) places that guyes wont take there trucks. I cant count how many lifted toyota's I,ve pulled out of holes or what ever. It starts with learning how to drive. All these dudes in there jeeps and pickups can eat ************, because I can follow them up and down trails all day long. I would like to show vids but we always end up with out cameras.

Soobs rock the noobs.[/quote']

hahaha.....and that is all.

in a few weeks, I should have my yota running, than you can bring your subie up here, and follow me and my buddy through some trails in the IROHVRA....if you make it in, you'll need a crane to get back out. I almost did when I took the subaru through Tail-pipe alley....and that's considered a pretty easy trail, for a black diamond.

or maybe you'd like to wait until summer when my yota's sitting on 35s, 5.29s, and a rear locker, and my buddies jeep has SOA and 38s.....

rooinater, opinions on the auto trans/tcase vary depending on who you ask, and how they drive. and the general consensus is (as far as I've been able to find), that if you're a good and careful driver, it'll last along time. sure, most of the guys on pirate4x4 would break one in a week or less, but they're also still convinced that mudrat's beast-a-con is swapped onto a bronco frame. the local guys who build on a budget, and drive accordingly, agree that it is the weak part of the truck, but still a decent trans.

it also helps to know that the previous owner took very good care of the truck. I may go to a 5-speed someday. but it's alot easier to go from an auto to a 5-speed, than the other way around.

i never like to drive autos, or own one, i speed. another reason my yota is being geared the hell down. i like the suby at around 60:1, the yota will have 223:1, 98:1, 47:1, and 20.68:1 4wd and 2wd options (i just realized my 4hi is going to be about as low as a stock suby :brow:). because of the gear driven case you can get the doubler and all the goodies, like the 4.7 kit in one of the cases. the auto tranny, you have to buy a 500 dollar adapter to adapt the auto to the stronger gear driven case, then 2 cases, a 4.7 kit and the $300 adapter to use the dual case kit, then the twin sticks... already got it for my 84 sr5 :cool: ;) good luck toys are great fun!

sorry for the thread jack...... but there's at least 3 yota owner's posting in here! :-p :headbang:

yeah but eric is still open diffs in that vid, your subaru's i bet have a welded diff? a locker or traction device is a night and day differance from open diffs. another buddy of mine eric morton, he had his yota, 33's welded diffs and stock gearing, made cake work out of all my trouble on lake isabel's rock climbs. i had a 4/3" lift, welded rear and 27" tires at the time... lack of gearing and clearance is what hung me up and made it a long day. hence, the second tcase, 4.11 gears, 31's, welded rear and lsd front now. lil' roo creeps up everything.

So I wonder. . . How come your aren't hitting up the AUSubaru board? Those guys lay claim to the gnarliest offroading you can do in a Subaru. (Although I still haven't seen any pics to back that up) They'll tell you they invented the sport. . .

I wouldn't ask there. They all talk bull**** :-p I know where the real wheel'ins done.

I wouldn't bother copy righting someone elses video, I only post video I have recorded. But I can see your point, and if you don't want to sell me a copy that's cool. I would just like to be ablt to show the local Subaru 4WD club how it's done.

I bet a Aussie posts next and gives me a right ol :Flame: for this... haha, show us your extreme offroading or **** off (sorry, that's my true aussie opinion coming through.)

Here is a pic of about the hardest public offroading we could find the other day after 3" of rain. Even this we probably could of got in a lot of trouble for.

Pic is of my brothers 2" lifted EA81 wagon with a welded rear diff.

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/subaru_4wd_dirtroad1.jpg

Aftermath

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/subaru_4wd_dirtroad2.jpg

This was the hardest offroading I've done for over a year. Execpt for the sand, but sand is just so boring now...

Maybe it's now time to do a car up for the street....... :(

Savage']If u are than i would have to dissagree.

then 7 times out of 10, you'd be wrong. subaru's are awesome, considering they're just a little car with 4WD, but they really don't have anything against a real truck. the only advantages a subaru has, stock for stock, is weight and turning circle. and a lifted one has impressive ground clearance for only 27-29" tires, but still only an inch or so better than a stock toyota, and the approach angle still sucks....and after a drivetrain lift and bigger tires on the Toy, you've got nothing there either.

not to mention the aftermarket support!!

don't get me wrong guys, I love subarus, and they're insanely impressive for what they are. but they are just that....under-built, and under supported for rock crawling. But, once I have the space and money for it, I'll have another lifted subaru, and it'll be an all out one too, EJ22, welded rear, LSD front, dual handbrake, maybe divorced tcase and a 4EAT. but for the ease of modification, and the availability of parts, I've got a yota for now. Not to mention the fact that I don't have a welder, or garage.

The toughest for me would be its action in an ice storm or other terrain deemed impossible. Such as that vid of portland with cars sliding involunatarily in slow motion..into a pile up.I would drive my old soob through that scenario anyday, I do here locally all the time. Times when the roads are to myself, I know it is bad out- the car doesn't. That vid was posted here at usmb, I do not know how to search for it..

Anyway, that is about as tough as it gets. Extreme offroad needs just that. Extreme on-road needs low, lean, symmetrical not only in build but torque dispersal. The old soobs have it better than any of them....The 5 mains have something crazy, as was proven here by a friend- it was like the engine had wheels, and it veered right while going straight the ore power added. Add a leaning road and its all over (exactly that cars demise- he refuses to get another new soob becuase of it..) 3 main soobs really do self cancel. Coersion to do a donut on slippery terrain is more than lack of power, that little buggy wants straight ahead and gentle turns. Couldn't ask for more!

The number one reason for liking them for me.No toy about it when push comes to shove in everyday driving. Not yet anyway... :) There are many days that prove to me how tough a soob is.Intelligence in action is the toughest thing any car can do, the old soobs are one of them.