Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RUST,and rust repair

Ok I thought I would see what kind of opinions there are on rust. My 76 DL is turning out to be a major rust bucket. But, only on the inside. This is due to the front and rear window gaskets leaking. The body is pretty much rust free with the exception of the trunk lid. That will need to be replaced. How far do you go to fix a Subie? I know this is a rare car but you have to draw the line somewhere. I just came in from cutting out the floor underneath the rear seat. Or what was left of it:lol: . Just amazing how little there is left. Too bad they don't make complete floor pans like they do for old Camaro's, Chevelles, etc. I am going to have to start making repro parts for this thing at the rate I am going here! Not a complaint either. It would sure help out us Gen 1 people if we had a source for new or repro parts. What do you think?

Can the VW Bug gasket be used there?Todd (subaru3) would probably know.

You can repair that floor.Won't be easy,but it doesn't have to be perfect either.We'll all try to help you out with pics,or scans of FSM's or FPM's.You can at least get the important points down,if there are any for that area you're working on.Were the seat mounting points still there?If the rot was just sheetmetal floor then you're not doing so bad.I looked at the pics very quickly before.

We're all wanting reproduction parts,but I don't see that happening much at all.:-\

All of the front seat mounts are still intact. They will need some metal work to make them completely solid again. Three of the four lower seat brakets in the back seat are rotted completely off. Looks like the rust has gotten in under the gas tank too. I wont know that for sure until I get the tank out. I am not ready to give up yet but finding window gaskets is a must so I can keep a repeat from happening again. Man this would make a great parts car for another DL. Now I just need to find one around that isn't rotted from the inside out to build on:lol: .

Yes,I agree with Todd.

Strip everything out of that interior.You're probably going to find some stuff you don't like behind the dash too.All needs to be dealt with.And besides,you'll be that much more ahead of the game if it does become a parts car.

I can't emphasize this enough,keep everything labeld and organized.Although this is a really simple car,as time goes by even the simplest of items can perplex your day.

You at least have your head on your shoulders about it,I can see that.thumbs up

Drop the gas tank,I guess you're doing that already.Get the bumpers off,splash pans,exhaust chunks (asuming it's like most sitting Subarus),etc.

If the ceiling liner is good,don't touch it.

Please get it as best as you can and take some more pictures.Not sure if WagonsOnly has looked in on this but he/we should have some floor sections from a '75 4WD wagon that might help.

Mosty you need it stiff,solid,and trustworthy.Replacing with the pressed steel pieces it was originally assembled with is most likely not going to happen.But if you ask me if I care......no way! You'll have that body style rolling and if somebody needs to be picky about it call me and I'll kick their :cool:

And,if need be,I thnik you've got an excellent shot at finding another.There were TONS of those as they were very popular with ladies,so they're still out there,albeit a handfull of them.

Not sure if WagonsOnly has looked in on this but he/we should have some floor sections from a '75 4WD wagon that might help.

He/I/we have rockers from a '75 wagon, but no floor sections that I'm aware of (unless you kept them in your loft, Paul). But anything I can do to help, please remember I have the same car--feel free to send me a PM or email.

Andrew

I am going to try and ride it out with this 76 DL. I will try to find the parts for it when I can. I have a few leads on parts from other members here, Thanks!:clap: I will keep a look for another car with solid floors. This one would make a excellent part car. My main worry is finding all the window gaskets and weatherstripping for it. Hopefully somebody can be found who could make new gakets for us. I think we could get enough people to go in for new weatherstripping too.

Yes,I'm going to whip up a sealing parts/weather stripping thread soon.

Basically,it'll be a call to arms.Scatter and seek,bring back good news.Then plan a financial undertaking once we're sure we have what we're looking for.

With each approach we need to explain to every vendor that this would be a group purchase,not just one or two cars.Most likely upwards of 50 cars +.

Getting back to your '76,that's a smart approach.Cover it,let the rain go over it now instead of into it.Where you're at it'll sit fine.