Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to look for in a '96 Outback

I've done without a third vehicle since I sold my '83 wagon, but I miss having a trailhead car. Based on this thread, http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64615 I'm thinking about a '96 Outback (for the EJ22, Hill Holder and ground clearance). I considered an EJ22 wagon so I could install a solenoid to lock the center differential (http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=517568#post517568), but decided I'd rather have a stock Outback.

I'm ready to start shopping. I plan to take my time and look for a really good car. Anything specific to look for or avoid in a '96 Outback?

well look in and see if it has an interior :)

If your going with the 2.2L the only thing to look out for is torque bind. Make sure all the tires match, and drive the car in a tight circle slowly. It should move smoothly and not jerk or grab. Check the color of the tranny fluid.

Thats about it (and this goes for all subarus with AWD).

nipper

I'm thinking about a '96 Outback (for the EJ22, Hill Holder and ground clearance). I considered an EJ22 wagon so I could install a solenoid to lock the center differential (http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=517568#post517568), but decided I'd rather have a stock Outback.

This statement confuses me. If you want a hill holder that means you want a 5spd. But if you want the ability to put a switch in to lock the center, you need an automatic...

So what are you really look for, or are you looking for either 5spd or auto?

Keith

This statement confuses me. If you want a hill holder that means you want a 5spd. But if you want the ability to put a switch in to lock the center, you need an automatic...

So what are you really look for, or are you looking for either 5spd or auto?

Keith

hill holder or not the only outback you can get with a 2.2L is a '96 5spd

I should have been more straightforward, Kieth, but I said considered - past tense. I want the 5-speed for the Hill Holder. I want the 5-speed Outback for the ground clearance and the 2.2. I might consider the auto if there was a real EJ22 Outback that came with one. I understand the 1995 Outback only differed cosmetically from the other EJ22 wagons.

...I considered an EJ22 wagon so I could install a solenoid to lock the center differential..., but decided I'd rather have a stock Outback.

Oh great, somebody else looking for a '96. My only requirements are 2.2L, 5 spd, minimal rust and no major accidents. Is that too much to ask? Tough to find.

You need to look in Washington ;) I've already seen two decent examples. One seemed a little $pendy and the other had almost 200K miles, but they both looked good.

You need to look in Washington ;) I've already seen two decent examples. One seemed a little $pendy and the other had almost 200K miles, but they both looked good.

Not unusual around here...Same problem I'm having.

...But I've got a line on a '96 5spd with 96k on it...we'll see. If I don't snatch it up, I'll let you know (whether it's worth a 4-hour drive for you or not, I'll let you decide).

There were no 96 auto outbacks with ej22.

If you only need outback for ground clearance - I would not discount regular legacies with 5spd and ej22. Around 100k suspension will need replacing anyway and you can put new outback suspension on legacy and gain the ground clearance.

Apart from that - there's a common problem with 96 5spd - some spacer in shifter linkage rattles.

There were no 96 auto outbacks with ej22.

I know there were no 96 EJ22 auto outbacks. If you read my posts, you'll see I never said there were. I just said I also considered an EJ22 wagon (I did not say Outback) with a solenoid to lock the center diff in passing. I should probably go back and delete that from my original post to avoid further confusion. Sheesh!

I should have been more straightforward, Kieth, but I said considered - past tense. I want the 5-speed for the Hill Holder. I want the 5-speed Outback for the ground clearance and the 2.2. I might consider the auto if there was a real EJ22 Outback that came with one. I understand the 1995 Outback only differed cosmetically from the other EJ22 wagons.

If you only need outback for ground clearance - I would not discount regular legacies with 5spd and ej22. Around 100k suspension will need replacing anyway and you can put new outback suspension on legacy and gain the ground clearance.

Apart from that - there's a common problem with 96 5spd - some spacer in shifter linkage rattles.

This is a good suggestion, but I don't think it will be difficult to fine an Outback. Mods are a slippery slope, and I have a hard time exerciseing restraint. I'd just as soon buy a stock outback and keep it that way. My heavily modified VW keeps me busy enough with mods.

Thanks for the info on the 5-speed. I'll do some searches.

i had a 1998 Legacy, and was really disapointed with the ground clearance. I was constantly hitting the parking stops and curbs in parking lots. My 1997 OBW does not do that.

nipper

The angle of attack and departure on Outbacks isn't great, but it's good enough for my worst-case scenario (rough, poorly maintained, unpaved roads). It's not a trail rig. My VWs front valance is closer to the ground than a Legacy's or Outback's, and I've never hit a curb.

The angle of attack and departure on Outbacks isn't great, but it's good enough for my worst-case scenario (rough, poorly maintained, unpaved roads). It's not a trail rig. My VWs front valance is closer to the ground than a Legacy's or Outback's, and I've never hit a curb.

here i used to hit them all the time, never hit a curb or street surface though.

It's not a trail rig.

I had mine back a hilly atv trail one day,you just need to go really slow...and not care too much about getting minor paint scrapes. I started before I realized what the trail was,I haven't ever tried to repeat it or anything,but maybe I will this summer,and take the camera with me this time.

Dante,

I have a 96 OBW with a 2.2 5 speed. It is a good towing car. I usually tow a dolly with a Corolla size car on it. Bigger brakes on the OBW help. You are smart enough to know you won't be the first one away at a light if you are towing! It does suck when an 80 year old with a walker smokes you when the light turns green but you won't be towing 100% of the time. If you are let me suggest a Kenworth :-)

Greg

btw-if it doesn't have a hitch on it putting one on takes about 1-1/2 hours and 30 minutes of that is getting the tools out and putting them back. Just get one that is modified for the muffler.

they aren't rated to tow cars and I ceratinly wouldn't. They're only rated for like 1,000lbs
This is news to me and to U-haul. They are the ones I usually rent a dolly from and their system allows it. Towed a Miata just 7 days ago. 60-65 mph, nice and easy down the interstate and no problems. I think the 1000# is the tongue weight. The class 2 hitch I have is rated for 3500# total towing weight. But if you don't want to tow a car with your car nobody will make you. I wouldn't tow an H2 :-)

This is news to me and to U-haul. They are the ones I usually rent a dolly from and their system allows it. Towed a Miata just 7 days ago. 60-65 mph, nice and easy down the interstate and no problems. I think the 1000# is the tongue weight. The class 2 hitch I have is rated for 3500# total towing weight. But if you don't want to tow a car with your car nobody will make you. I wouldn't tow an H2 :-)

Look here.

Although it says 2000 for 96, it is most likely for auto. Manuals are at 1000, and trailer has to have brakes.

Towing a Corolla-sized car with a 96 manual subaru? Hm, lets just say that this kind of idea will never occur to me. Not even in an auto with a transmission cooler installed.

Dante,

I have a 96 OBW with a 2.2 5 speed. It is a good towing car. I usually tow a dolly with a Corolla size car on it. Bigger brakes on the OBW help. You are smart enough to know you won't be the first one away at a light if you are towing! It does suck when an 80 year old with a walker smokes you when the light turns green but you won't be towing 100% of the time. If you are let me suggest a Kenworth :-)

Greg

btw-if it doesn't have a hitch on it putting one on takes about 1-1/2 hours and 30 minutes of that is getting the tools out and putting them back. Just get one that is modified for the muffler.

I won't be towing anything with it. The biggest loads any of my cars have seen are bags of fertilizer, concrete or play sand from the home and garden store.

come on, you never had a used trans. in the back of your subaru? :grin:

I never had a trans in the back of my '83, but I had a rolling jack, jack stands, a big spare, a lug wrench. In addition, I often had a tool box and camping gear. For a while after I got an LSD, I had my old diff back there. No trans, though...