Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about climate control lights in Impreza

A while back someone posted a fine write-up on replacing the lights in the Impreza climate control assembly. I found the one for the Legacy in the Repair Manual but haven't been able to locate the one I think I remember for the Impreza. Anyone find it or have a decent set of directions? Thanks.

A '97 should be very close, except that the bezel seems to be held only with locking tabs and no screws. A 1993-96 control box has tree dials and there are screws above two of them, facing down.
My 96 doesn't have tree dials. :lol: I think Ed knows the difference, he has seen mine many times. Yes, I know you meant 'three' instead of 'tree'.

Also 97 was a transition year, the early 97's had HVAC panels like the 96's the later ones were like the 98's, Ed's is the latter.

I know the box itself changed in '97 but the shape of the console and bezel was same as before. Then for '98 the box remained but the interior changed. The bezel probably just pries out, starting from the top. But it's better to look in a manual. FWIW, the bulb type for old style Impreza climate control is 74.

I know the box itself changed in '97 but the shape of the console and bezel was same as before. Then for '98 the box remained but the interior changed. The bezel probably just pries out, starting from the top. But it's better to look in a manual. FWIW, the bulb type for old style Impreza climate control is 74.

OK, who has a 97 Impreza that was built between 8/96 and 12/96, please take a picture of your control panel and post it, any one with a car built after that (1/97 to 7/97) please do the same. Actually is would be best if one car were an 8/96 build and the other a 7/97 build.

Ed, try this link, http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2498&highlight=climate+control it might give some insight because people there talk about their Impreza's too.
Sadly the first link is for the Legacy and is totally different. Also the Legacy bulbs DO NOT work with the Impreza panel that I have. The second link gives and error message.

Not that simple on the '97 and newer models.
So have you been able to remove the bezel? Except for the opening around the controls, it's the same as previuos design, as the photo shows. If you do have to remove the box, then cables shoud be disconnected. I was prepared to do that on a '95 but found the bulbs sitting right on the top.

So have you been able to remove the bezel? Except for the opening around the controls, it's the same as previuos design, as the photo shows. If you do have to remove the box, then cables shoud be disconnected. I was prepared to do that on a '95 but found the bulbs sitting right on the top.
Actually, the bezel and the panel and the vents are still all bolted together on the rear. I haven't decided what else I need to take apart yet; I'm of the school, if I don't need to take it apart I don't need to put it back together.

I'm going to have to cancel my order for bulbs at the dealer; I didn't want to leave my wife's car sitting while I waited for the back-ordered bulbs to come in and I had partially removed the panel since I had bought a replacement control panel from Aaron's Autowrecking for bulbs (which were missing!:mad: ). But the spare panel made it much easier to see what I was dealing with. I tried NAPA on the off chance that they would have bulbs. They did!:clap: Only difference is they don't have the green mini-condum around them but I don't really care. They work and cost $1.99 plus tax for two!:clap:

Part number is from Wagner #17037. I'll post up some pics later tonight if I have a chance.

Uh, Ed--I don't know how to say this politely or discretely, but you can, uh, re-use the condom. No matter what color it is!
Unfortunately, it was half melted and unusable for both lights. Actually it allows more light to be able to see the status of the control lights. Sorry to use the terminology, but it was the most descriptive way I could get the point across.

I bought a climate control panel from the local Subaru only yard so that I would be able to see what I was in for. I wound up prying the bezel from the top VERY CAREFULLY to get it off the dash. After removing the left dash kick panel and with the vent control fully counter-clockwise I was able to remove the vent cable from its peg and free the cable sheath from the clamp on the left side of the dash. This allowed me some more access to the rear of the climate control panel. Here's a pic from the unit I bought at Aaron's:

dialsCCW.jpg

It's shown with both dials fully CCW (as seen from the front). Notice that the lamp holders are impossible to remove or replace unless you have super small fingers.

Here's a picture of the rear with the dials fully CW (as seen from the front) so that now the lamp holders can be twisted out, the lamps replaced, and the holder twisted back in. Still not easy but do-able.

dialsCW.jpg

The lower lamp holder shown above is for the vent status dial. This one is the easier of the two to replace. The temp dial lamp at the top is more difficult. I couldn't figure out how to replace the A/C indicator lamp which is inside the A/C switch. I didn't think it was important to have it working once the other two lamps were okay. After I put everything back together, I was pleasantly surprised to find the A/C indicator was working.

Here's a pic of the old bulb I removed:

bulb.jpg

If you want to see more detailed pics, check out my Repair album at http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=959.

If a moderator wants to add the previous post to the USRM, please feel free to do so. I don't know how to go about that. Also, the control panel for the pics came from a 2001 Forrestor, so I suspect many post '97 Imprezas, WRXs, and Forrestors may have the same arrangement.

Nice photos. So the bezel was not the hardest part. The control box design is very different from the older kind, not just by the number of dials but on the inside.
Removing the bezel is scary since you don't know whether you're actually removing it properly or if you're about to break it. Also all the screws holding the bezel, control panel, and such together are on the inside and really hard to get at without disconnecting all three cables and electical connections. Trying to replace the two bulbs without doing all that is a bit tricky. I have that junkyard control panel here and still don't know how to get at the bulb for the A/C control.