Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about 76 DL

The EA63 is worn out in the 76 DL. I have 2 EA71 engines sitting around. Could I put the EA71 in hooked up to the 1400 tranny that is already in the car? Also this may sound wild but could I modify this car and put a 4wd Tranny and all the running gear out of a 78 Brat in it? I figure the floor is shot anyway so if I needed to do any modifying now would be the time. I have all the parts to do the conversion if it is possible. Let me know what you think.

I believe the 1600 will fit fine. As I remember from the shop days, that happened a fair amount anyway. As for 4WD...bugger of a project. Capture nuts not present, crossmembers, gas tanks, exhaust all different.

Paul...chime in on this.

Todd

I just thought this would be an interesting oportunity to maybe make a nice little project out of this. With parts being hard to find why not try something different? I love the look of this car so I want to get it back on the road eventually.

:Flame: A little bracket here,a little bracket there.......hmmm,we all want to see that project.Subframe,slight lift,big wheels......all it takes is money and time.;)

As for dropping in a 1600,should be straight up.Like Todd said,back then folks regularly took a 5-7 year old Subaru they got for $500 and dropped in a 1600.Giving up on the 1400 was real easy back then.If the crossmember is not perfect you might have to hog out the mount holes,but I think you're ok really.

With the 1976 1400 the EA71 should bolt up to the earlier 1400 transmission with no problems. If it was an early 1400 (say prior to 1975) the transmission is not the same as the input shaft has a completely different angle into the gearbox. Then again my knowledge really only applies to cars delivered to Australia, perhaps things are different elsewhere.

An easy way to tell is if the EA63 has the exhaust ports on the front and back of the engine (early 'dirty type') or underneath the engine (later 'clean', in terms of emissions) The later type looks the same on EA71 and EA81.

With the 1976 1400 the EA71 should bolt up to the earlier 1400 transmission with no problems. If it was an early 1400 (say prior to 1975) the transmission is not the same as the input shaft has a completely different angle into the gearbox. Then again my knowledge really only applies to cars delivered to Australia, perhaps things are different elsewhere.

yep thats right about that. my 1973 GL coupe has 1600 engine fitted and it had 2 hav an factory adpator bellhousing thing to fit the ea71 in