Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sorting out no-start problem

Does anyone have pics of ecu's with identification?

The ecu I have has four connectors, each a different size. The ecu that came with the engine, and was not used, has three connectors.

I NEED a positive ID on the ecu I have. It is SUPPOSED to be the one I need.

ECU has four connectors, TCU has three.

I've mentioned this page before, but people seem to forget

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/

it has all the pinout info you want. ECU & TCU.....was taken from the 1990 FSM's.

I'm also assuming you've seen this pic, which shows the physical location of each....the ECU & TCU

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/ecuhide.jpg

Terminal 4 on the F47 block isn't hooked up. There isn't even mention of it that I can find in the FSM. It's a yellow/green wire. The only other things that aren't hooked up include the gauges, vehicle speed sensor, and the check engine light.

I put it in check mode today, and it cycled the fuel pump. The check engine light wire was hooked to my voltmeter, but it doesn't react quickly enough to determine the number of blinks. Does that light need to be a LED?

I also checked the resistance on the ignition coil. It appears to have the continuity of a brick.

If the coil is dead, does the computer keep the fuel pump off so fuel isn't unnecessarily injected into the engine? That's my new theory.

I didn't even think about the fact that the automatic car has a TCU. Now I feel dumb.

Ok, this is what I've got. I definately have crank and cam sensor inputs going into the computer, verified with voltmeter. I also managed to test the ignition coil wrong, but finally got that right and it's fine. The ignitor circuit is done correctly, and is grounded properly.

The fuel pump definately is not running while cranking. It comes on with the key momentarily. Test modes on the computer work, it cycles the fuel pump, and it tries to spit out codes, which I can't read for the lack of a CEL.

Checking for ignition output at the computer yeilded some odd results. With the ignitor plugged in, the FSM says to backprobe it and look for voltage pulsations which is the computer telling the ignition coil to fire. With the ignition on, I get around 5 volts. Cranking, it drops to zero. Is this the fault of the ignitor, or ecu? I didn't think to check it with the ignitor unplugged to try to isolate it, cuz the FSM never mentioned that. It said after that check, if abnormal results are found, to replace the ignitor. But that still doesn't explain the fuel pump not coming on while cranking, unless the computer is looking for the correct ignition signal. I don't know. Anyone got a used ecu sitting around they wanna sell?

I have double 0 battery cables on it, and the battery is brand new. EVERYTHING is brand new. Except the engine and sensors.

I might have a few problems, but this afternoon I came to the conclusion there is no spark because of the ignitor.