Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! light switch trouble

I need to take off the knob so I can pull the rest of the light switch out from under the dash, so I can look at it and hopefully get my headlights to work. I already took out the little retaining screw in the knob and Tri-Flow'd it, but it won't turn either way or pull off. I could cut it but I'd rather not break anything. Anyone have any secrets they wish to share?

I already know your problem with the headlights. The power wire which is going to be the big red wire going into the switch usually goes out. I had the one in my '78 Brat quit on me and I ran another wire from the battery to it and it worked fine.

I know about the little retaining screw but I can't remember how to get it out. I can't find my FSM either!

OK... there's no way to get that switch out without breaking it. I found the fat red wire, but I have no clue where it goes. I can't trace where it goes because all the wires under the hood are clustered and wrapped together with electrical tape (can't believe they did that in the factory!) Where does that fat wire stsrt? If I could just find it's starting point I could cut the original and just leave it in place. I really want to leave the wire hacking to a bare minumum since dealing with hacked up wires is my worst nightmare.

the big fat red wire goes directly from the battery, through a fuseable link right next to the battery (in line with the positive battery cable) then down the passenger side and into the cab. Back then, Subaru didn't make it so the headlights would turn off with the key so the headlights always have power.