Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to disengage parking brake

Guest subiegirl

I need to disengage my parking brake on my Legacy 91 4WD at the front passenger's side wheel.

Its been smoking because it is stuck on.

Can anyone give me a step by step? Thanks

Guest meep424

here's a wag, since the cause isn't certain...but assuming improper e-brake self-adjuster:

remove caliper-- drop the bolts and knock it off. easier than it sounds, but be patient. pry bar and hammer... then use needle nose pliers or the "brake tool" to actually twist the piston in, clockwise if I recall. It has holes or ridges on the surface just for this. this resets the e-brake self-adjuster.

how did it get like this to start with?

other possible cause is rusted calliper/piston, in which case it's time for a rebuild/replace. rebuild is easier than you'd think, too.pull it apart, remove rust with fine grade steel wool. insert new seals, assemble.

Mikey

Guest Legacy777

parking brake is not on the front wheels.

Your caliper is stuck. You might be able to take it apart, clean it up and lube everything good, and have it still work. If not, you'll need a new caliper.

Guest subiegirl

Thanks guys.

My shop guy had told me that Loyals have a parking brake assembly on the passenger's front tire and I was to pry the arm to disengage the parking brake as a temp fix.

All I saw was a coil and bolt assembly and wanted to check before prying the wrong thing.

Make any sence to you?

yeah, its rusty- good ol' Vermont.

Thanks again

Guest intrigueing

My 86 GL 4x4 wagon had the front right, left rear parking brake arrangement, and my 95 Legacy has the rear shoes inside the rotors on the rear. Anyone know when Subaru switched?:rolleyes:

Guest Setright

As Josh said: Parking brake is not on the front wheels, certainly not on Legacies.

The hill holder works on diagonally opposed wheels, since it only holds brake line pressure in one circuit. Maybe that is part of the confusion??

If one caliper is bad, replace both, or the car might pull to one side during braking.

Guest Legacy777

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Thanks guys.

My shop guy had told me that Loyals have a parking brake assembly on the passenger's front tire and I was to pry the arm to disengage the parking brake as a temp fix.

So what is it? A loyal or legacy?

Some of the older subes did have parking brake on the front. The legacy did not.

Guest Flowmastered87GL

My 87 GL (a Loyale more or less) had the drivers front sieze up. To be safe I got new calipers and disks (the old one got toasted pretty bad)

Guest meep424

if it really does have the front e-brake, don't force that spring-loaded arm back. ok if it just needs a nudge, but doesn't sound like it.

mike

Guest subiegirl

I realized I was supposted to post about Loyales on a different board ( I have now posted on the other one also) Didn't get the seperate boards for Loyales and Legacies.

This board gave me more info so far......

But I wonder if I am even looking at the right assembly. There only seems to be one.