Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The little red button makes it SUPER SUBIE!

Well maybe not super subie, but I’m still very impressed. On my daily commute this morning (over Snoqualmie pass), I ran through the worst road/weather conditions me and the Subaru have been through yet (it wasn’t the worst I’ve seen but pretty messy). I’ve made this commute for 8 years and have driven in snow county all my life in many different vehicles and I think the subie is the best snow car yet. :headbang: Just push the button, drop it into second, hang it out in the fast lane where all others fear to tread and cruse up to the top. It was a little trickier on the down side, moving in slow traffic (about 30mph), there was enough camber to the road in places that the back end wanted to slide down hill a little bit, but a touch of the throttle would bring it right back in line (I’m thinking that some weight in the rear might help). My speed was really limited by visibility and traffic not the road conditions, I wasn’t passed by anyone the whole way over (except one crazy trucker :brolleye: ). I was driving through slush so deep in places that it was splashing up over the hood, just stay on the power and it tracks straight through, its not quite as stable off the throttle but its as good as any other car I’ve driven. All in all it’s a very good snow car, the weather is sure to get worse so there is more fun to come, now if I could just get a set of wiper blades to last more that 3 weeks.

Just thought I’d share. :banana:

Gary

Welcome to the Board!

Hey I was wondering how the pass conditions were this morning! With that commute, you're gonna love that Soob. I used to spend a lot of time at Alpental back in the 80's and when the road conditions were their worst, it seemed like the only cars in the parking lot were Subarus.

So are you coming over for the Christmas Tree run on the 29th? You're invited if you can make it. Have a good trip home and watch out for those flying suburbans.

Yeah that’s part of my problem too, the wipers just don’t seem to stick to the windshield at speed, maybe I need to find some of the florescent pink double wipers with the little wings on them, could be tough to find though, I think they all got used up by mullet wearing guys on there camaro’s in 1988. :headbang:

Gary

P.S. looks like the ride home will be a bit smoother, but then there is always tomorrow.

I use those springs on my wiper arms (keep them all year...) and they work very well including with winter blades. I have one on the rear wiper arm also (the blade does'nt clean the upper portion of the glass without one. There's a thread on that subject over one the new generation Subes. Seems they are not readily available in the US. If you find some report back and I'll carry the info over to the other board. I bought mine at Canadian Tire.

I make sure the Rain-X is good and heavily applied and the wipers are used on the rare occasions like the initial fog layer or what not...... after over a decade of using that stuff its wonderful for keeping Ice and slush from sticking to the windshieled etc.

I even use it on the headlights and tail lights too.

Yeah, the springs work really well to keep the wipers stuck on the window at all speeds. I know they are easily available in Canada, so I'm sure you can find them in the US too. My window also seems to be really good at repelling water, even though I have never done anything with it, and at speeds you dont even need to wipers.