Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing Wood From Cylinder

There is a ling story behind this that I won't go into. I would like to get some suggestions on how to remove an inch long peice of a pencil from an EA81 cylinder. Any creative ways this could be done? I'd like to avoid pulling the head if possible since the engine was just rebuilt, but if thats the only safe way to do it, so be it. Thanks in advance!

My sister had a piece of spark plug fall into her 2L Nissan motor (one of those twin spark ones) the vacuum cleaner didn't work, they finally got it out with a stick with blue-tack on it (she said it took 3 hours:eek:)

It's only wood, just run the engine :-p :Flame: it will burn out :eek:

Usually when the sparkplug is removed all fumes/gases will evaporate from the cylinder in a short time.

I agree, a vacuum would be perfectly safe to use, but it would be entirely useless. You wouldn't be able to "suck" up the pencil, as there would be almost no airflow inside the cylinder, even with a very powerful vacuum. I would use a long needle, stab the pencil, and then pull it out. Don't crank the engine over at all, since the pencil could be splintered to peices, and impossible to remove if the piston is allowed to go to the top of it's stroke.

Oh come on guys,he was trying to find TDC,you know that.:cool:

If the pencil has the metal eraser holder then use a telescoping magnet.

Should have seen me when I snapped the end of a springhook tool off into the combustion chamber.Yosemite Sam moment for sure.

The blue tack idea is a good one, but few people in North America know what it is. A suitable substitute might be chewing gum on a chopstick.

Another possibility along the same lines might be to wrap some duct tape on the chopstick so the sticky side is out. Make it into a ball that will still go through the spark plug hole. The last thing you want is chunk of gum as well as a pencil sitting on top of the piston.

The blue tack idea is a good one, but few people in North America know what it is. A suitable substitute might be chewing gum on a chopstick.

It is available here (at least on the west coast of Canada). I bought some a few years ago from an office supply store.

3M makes a killer double sided tape too.Not the white foam core one but the clear one.That rules.Wrap that on a thin rod of metal.Chopstick sounds good,but the thought of more wood snapping might make you lean towards metal.

Come on G-man.We want to hear to story,and hear it end happily.;)

Rosie O' will work too.:lol:

Timing marks are great for that TDC stuff..you can even see the piston to aid in this. if it weren't for lead in the pencil, running it would be an interesting quick resolve. those 3 prong tools flexible seem to be a great idea as posted. or the car upside down, that is a great idea.. maybe water filling the cyl and get it to float to the top.:lol:

Some kind of tree eating animal/insect/mite should do the trick if all else fails.

Yeah,

I can hack a chunk 'o 2x4 outa the Formosan colony in my structure and mail it ya in a Ziplock....

Just make sure you pop a NGK in the hole pretty sharpish after you drop a couple of the blighters in.... After all, they are vicious little buggers and you wouldn't want them having any ambitions on your beautiful wife's Mahogany :lol:

I'd give 'em two hours before the pencil is saw dust and you can crank up your engine :Flame: