Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to subi's. Need ideas for power upgrades on a 88 GL-10.

Hey I just bought my first Subaru a couple of weeks ago and so far I Love it.

I found a 88 GL-10 with ever option accept for a moonroof. I totaly dig the lowrange and can't believe how well it handles at speed offroad. I bought this as my DD and just want to find and figure out how I can upgrade the engine a little to produce a little more power.

It has the SPFI 1.8 in it (I know you guys most likely knew this but I'm newbie when it comes to Subi's) and a 5 sp.

What I'd like to do it replace the entire exhaust headers and all if it worth it and put a better intake setup on it.

I plan on intalling the oem adjustable struts to get a little bit of lift and put on some pugs with 27" tires. I have begun my search for these parts and am open to suggestions with what else I might want to do.

I am going to school right now finishing my Bachelors degree in Automechanics and working on cars comes second nature to me. I am a toyota guy at heart and currently own 4 but for a DD I coudn't be happier to own my new little toy. Next week its getting a new rear main seal and a tune up with new belts, plugs, wires and a leak down test.

try to keep the :Flame: down to a minimum. Don't worry I catch on pretty quick

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think there is anything that is "easy" or "bolt on" to up the power of that motor. A full rebuild if it's getting tired might help. But otherwise your really looking at things like aftermarket ECU and getting ride of all the pollution stuff if you want it more powerful.

PK lift, or SJR lift would be the most sane option I would think for you.

27" is a nice size, I run the Kumho 27x8.5 MT's on my Brat, still good onroad and still ok low range offroad.

Power upgrades:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/ea-performance-page/subaru-ea-performance.html

I have done most of the basic maintenance items and it definately helps. (NGK spark plugs, timing belts, reseal motor, water pump, oil pump and now a clutch).

I have added:

Oil catch can

40,000v coil

14" Pugs with 195/75-14 LT tires

Soon it will have a turbo muffler on it.

Performance upgrades? Yeah right. Looking for unicorns is fun too. Get an EJ22 if you want performance.

For 27" tires, you are going to want a lift. You'll just beat the hell out of the body without it. For rims - just drill some chevy/toyota 6 lug, or convert your hubs to 6 lug. Pug rims are too hard to find replacements if you bend one.

GD

Like GD said, the below is "custom stuff" but even with

all this (87 GL turbo 5 speed) she's still a toad.

willyslump.jpg

My 94 GT Leg wagon (read heavy) with a NA EJ22

will run circles around it.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

My 94 GT Leg wagon (read heavy) with a NA EJ22

will run circles around it.

I'm somewhat surprised about that...well, maybe not if you think of horsepower-to-weight ratio. But I think it would be close.

(Ha. You're from Latrobe. Sweet. You know who else is from Latrobe, PA? The coolest dude that ever lived...Mr. Rogers. Bet you didn't know that. Yup, Fred Rogers is from your town.)

I am a toyota guy at heart and currently own 4 but for a DD I coudn't be happier to own my new little toy. Next week its getting a new rear main seal and a tune up with new belts, plugs, wires and a leak down test.

try to keep the :Flame: down to a minimum. Don't worry I catch on pretty quick

First off, welcome to the forum. Hope you like it here. There is a lot of good advice and fun here. Second thing is a warning. After getting used to the Subaru, you may end up leaving the Toyota line ;) .

I wonder if the engine has been changed because I was under the impression that the '88 GL-10 only used MPFI. I used to have two of those cars at one time (w/moonroofs) but no longer have them. I still have the FSMs so I can help with any questions. Particularly in the electrical area.

you should be able to find alot of good information using the search function.

the general consensus on power upgrades for an EA82 on here is:

"EA82 power upgrades = polishing a turd" i've read that a number of times.

if you're looking for power the EA82 is going to seriously disappoint you unless you're used to driving really slow vehicles. there's alot of good things about EA82's, i've owned them, own one and get them for friends, but power is not the motivating factor.

Shift at 6k rpms. Other than that, power upgrades aren't going to get you much. The EJ-series swaps are a lot of work, but they totally change the car. Depending on the EJ engine you put in, it's anywhere from 115hp to 300+ hp. With only 135 in an EJ22(common as dirt) you have 50% more power than stock. Try and get that with an intake and exhaust on any engine.

First off, welcome to the forum. Hope you like it here. There is a lot of good advice and fun here. Second thing is a warning. After getting used to the Subaru, you may end up leaving the Toyota line ;) .

I wonder if the engine has been changed because I was under the impression that the '88 GL-10 only used MPFI. I used to have two of those cars at one time (w/moonroofs) but no longer have them. I still have the FSMs so I can help with any questions. Particularly in the electrical area.

I don't think I will ever leave my toyotas in the dust. Seriously, they are my 4wheeling rigs, I even own a tubed framed competition rock crawler on 39" tires. This subi is just to get me from point A to point B. The reason I'm "lifting" it is just to get a larger tire under it.

In regards to the engine I know its a SPFI engine and as I've been told by a friend of mine who is really into subaru's he said that I found a rarer subaru than normal.

For power increases I am more than anything looking to just give it a little more power not anything substantial and increase my fuel milage. This car is fun but I never expect it to be a rocket ship. If I wanted a lot more power I would've bought a WRX or even and STI. I have driven both and absolutely love those cars. Maybe in the future but for right now the little GL will get me where I want to go.

btw here's my rockcrawler. I don't think the subaru could even come close offroad. haha

MCR5013.jpg

MCR5017.jpg

Nice buggy!

Are you running the ol' 22RE in that thing?

(Sorry for the hijack)

hey no prob on the hijack. Its my thread and I kinda hijacked it myself.

The buggy has a 98 4.3L vortec with a turbo 350 and an atlas 4.3 t/c. With D60's f/r and a arb in back and detriot up front. The chassis is only 48" wide.

ok now back to subi's

In regards to the engine I know its a SPFI engine and as I've been told by a friend of mine who is really into subaru's he said that I found a rarer subaru than normal.

Well GL-10s are a bit harder to come by but SPFI engines are very common. So not that rare..but it is one of the most reliable 80's fuel injected suby motors. When i saw GL-10 i was worried for you and hoping you didnt have a turbo. Dont get me wrong turbos are cool but it seems that they are a lot of trouble if you are new to subarus.

Hi! ... Your Subie got the EA82, it is a very Nice Engine, all xcept for timin´ Belts... That´s why companies such as Ram Engines, create Kits for EA81 Subie Engines... and they got over 200 Horsepower from those EA81.

Look at This page: http://ramengines.com/_wsn/page2.html for more Info. ´about.

Also, about this:

See... Now theres a real offroad, just if I could drive something like that on the road..... :burnout:

Here, in my Country you can! :) ... I saw a EA81 Engined Buggy, and some VolksWagen Beetle Engined Buggys too, cuisin´ by... I Think I have a pair of Pics, I´ll search to post ´em here if you wish...

yeah I wish I could drive my buggy on the road too.

So pretty much you guys are telling me don't waist my time with the 1.8L.

I know theres lots of info on this site I'm sure about swaps but how hard and what is swapable into my GL if I decide to go down that road someday

btw here's my rockcrawler. I don't think the subaru could even come close offroad. haha

I dare you to try. There's a lot of things that no-one has tried yet with the Subaru. Someone like you, who's built a competition crawler the traditional way, should try building a Subaru. Seriously, there are so many possibilites. No-one has put the time and $ into better components in the suspension (mostly meaning the axle department, guys). We have factory LSD diffs, but no lockers. We have weak stubs (which Rooinator is working on right now). Maybe you should make a Soob your next offroad project. If you put the goods into it like you did with your Buggy, where do you think you'd end up with it? Why not make the most hardcore offroad Soob around, and maybe even keep it streetable?

On that note, I'm sure you know that several buggies have used Soob power to keep weight down, while still having lots of power.

I know guys have used subi motors. I would love to make a subaru powered buggy someday. The main problem with building up a subaru rockcrawler is the limits of the chassis. Sure you could impliment in a subframe and what not but since there is no real frame it limits your possibilities. Maybe someday down the road I'll build a 2.5L WRX powered buggy with around 400 horse (Im don't know the engine names yet sorry).

Again, I'm not saying build a buggy. Just build the best darn offroad Subaru anyone has seen. Maybe it won't crawl like a buggy, but neither will most offroad machines out there. Heck, if a 4" lifted Brat can run the Rubicon with nothing more than that, a warmed-over engine, and a welded rear end, imagine what you could do if you really built one.