Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to subi's. Need ideas for power upgrades on a 88 GL-10.

Again, I'm not saying build a buggy. Just build the best darn offroad Subaru anyone has seen.

If you're going to modify a subaru that much, where you have a divorced transfer case, custom built suspension, custom axles, and custom subframes front and rear there isn't anything "subaru" about it's offroad abilities. You could start with any passenger car, and get identical results. I would choose something with a strong lightweight unibody, a durable motor with lots of torque, and good rollover protection. Probably a Volvo 140 with a B20F engine, a mercedes W115 with an OM616 engine, or a 1.6l VW diesel 2 door wagon would be a better canidate than a Subaru. What's great about a subaru is that they are cheap, fuel efficient, handle like a car, and are reasonably good offroad. If you modify it like that, you lose all of those benefits except the offroad abilities.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would choose something with a strong lightweight unibody,

Subaru= check

a durable motor with lots of torque

Subaru= check (depending on which engine, of course. BTW: motor=electric)

and good rollover protection.

Subaru= add a roll cage, just like everything else.

What's great about a subaru is that they are cheap, fuel efficient, handle like a car, and are reasonably good offroad. If you modify it like that, you lose all of those benefits except the offroad abilities.

Well, I guess the fact that it's a 4X4 to start with gives it an advantage over all of the other vehicles you mentioned. But I digress. I realize that the original intent of this thread was to find more power in the EA-82 SPFI and that I kinda sidetracked that.

The obvious things have pretty much been said. You could always pull the heads and mill them a little, clean the ports/chambers a bit, etc. The exhaust can help, but keep it to 2" or 2 1/4". The big limiting factor on these engines is the port design and the long intake runners. Good for low RPM torque, not so good for HP.

Subaru= check (depending on which engine, of course. BTW: motor=electric)

If you're going to argue semantics...

From the American Heritage Ductionary:

Motor n. - A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power.

My point was that if you're locking the subaru transmission in 4WD and using a divorced transfer case, and entirely replacing the suspension/subframe you lose any advantage from the car already being 4WD, as you don't really use any of the factory 4WD parts. Sure a subaru is light, fuel efficient, and strong enough, but so are most passenger cars. I don't think it compares very well to those european cars I listed, but that's mostly a matter of opinion.

I totaly dig the lowrange and can't believe how well it handles at speed offroad.

For serious off-roading and rock crawling, you need solid axles, crawling gears, etc. That's not the strong point of subarus. But try rallying down some dirt road at 25mph and power sliding around the corners while hitting bumps and whatnot. You can do stuff with impunity in a subaru that would flip an off-roader. Each has it's niche. Subaru's also handle very well in the snow (except for the annoying tendancy to get high centered easily), as long as the wheels are touching the ground, it still moves. And they're pretty easy to pull out of a sideways skid (compared to my 4x4 truck -- I don't like driving that unless there's deep snow that needs bashing through).

scandinavian flick

turn the wheel opposite corner then the correct way.really quickly.This unsettles the suspension.the back come around.then you control how long you want to drift by the throttle.steering corrections will probally have to be made..

scandinavian flick

turn the wheel opposite corner then the correct way.really quickly.This unsettles the suspension.the back come around.then you control how long you want to drift by the throttle.steering corrections will probally have to be made..

And here I was, thinking you were talking about the latest in Swedish Cinema...

I hadn't heard that one either, though. Next time I feel the urge to spin the tail of the GL-10 around, I know how.

i dont know about non-turbo power, but my mpfi turbo gl10 came alive with mandrel bent exhaust into the turbo, straight 2.5" out of the turbo, mandrel bent homemade intake tube, did a little dremel work on the intake and exhaust runners(could have done way better, ran out of time) got rid of power steering and air conditioning (less power to the pumps+more to the wheels) havent touched the boost yet. oh and i rebuilt the engine with the high compression carbed 'case. =great off idle torque and huge power all the way to 6500 which is as high as ivce spun it so far.

scandinavian flick

Also known as a feint drift....

+1 on replacing the coolant hoses... first thing my wagon did right after I got it... started in on the hoses, one at a time:dead:

Whats the length on that flat 12?
Too long. Put it this way.. You'd have 2 or 4 cylinders sticking out beond your grill!

Notice how this 60's(?) design engine looks alot like the DOHC EJ's? Only of cause much sexier... Why does it take so long for us to get cool stuff when the race cars get it right away! :eek: sorry, I got my wires crossed along with my eyes... :rolleyes:

The Subaru Flat Twelve is from around 1990 (So Basically maybe it is a "Evolution" of the EA82, as is the ER27) it was for the Subaru´s Formula 1 Racin´ car... but That´s another Story.

In other old Thread, I suggested to install that Flat Twelve in the Back Side of a Loyale Wagon, as Rear Engined... Crazy but can be Done... Theorically... :)