Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HG external leak - which choice is wiser?

OK we love the car. I don't want her to worry about it. External coolant leak. 110k miles. Maybe using a little oil.

Since pulling the engine seems to be the preferred method when swapping headgaskets, I'm thinking new CCR engine and having it done in one day, and being done with it.

New engine have better performance, quieter, better mileage?

Other thoughts?

I agree with Josh,

You didn't say how long you've owned this car or what year it is, so how many miles you put on the car per year could make your mind up for you.

CCR is a great place for a replacment motor, and I don't want to take away business from them :-\... but if you only put 12 to 15k per year on it, there is no reason not to expect another 6-8 years and around 200k out of the original engine.

If you stay with the original, don't forget the timing belt, if it wasn't done already.

I personally would just do the gaskets, would be saving a ton of cash and if you are pulling it that is half the battle. If you decide to do it yourself try do get a hold of a good straight edge and check the deck on the block and heads I am starting to see some that are over 8 thousandths out in warpage. But as long as you didn't cook it you shouldn't see a problem with that.

I don't know if you have done it yet, but I have seen the Subaru conditioner seal the few external leaks I have seen on the SOHC 2.5L engines. And it's only a few dollars from the dealer.

If you have already decided to repair/replace the engine here are a few things I would consider:

Rebuild, find a reputable mechanic, one who has Subaru experience and have them price the entire job.

Replacement, again finding someone reputable to do it. Given CCR's reputation, I would definitely use them and sit on their 3yr/36K warranty. Same as a new vehicle warranty.

Just my thoughts as I read this thread.