Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 05 legacy 2.5I wagon is due for a fuel filter and things at subaru have definetly changed. The filter I got from the dealer is basicly a 2" round mesh plastic disk that suposedly fits to a riser in the fuel tank. Has anyone changed this filter and can tell me how it is done? The filter does not look like much and I wonder how good of a filtering job it will do. Maybe I can install an inline element filter to keep the fine stuff out. Any help would be appreciated.

My 05 legacy 2.5I wagon is due for a fuel filter and things at subaru have definetly changed. The filter I got from the dealer is basicly a 2" round mesh plastic disk that suposedly fits to a riser in the fuel tank. Has anyone changed this filter and can tell me how it is done? The filter does not look like much and I wonder how good of a filtering job it will do. Maybe I can install an inline element filter to keep the fine stuff out. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think that's really a fuel filter. More of a tank sediment filter to prevent the pump from picking up large particulates. I think with the 2005 and onward, they use a filter cartridge that goes onto the pump body. If you can't find an inline canister in the engine bay, usually mounted on the strut tower near the brake master cylinder, then they might have moved it somewhere else.

Filter is just a sock (or mesh disk?) that fits below the electric pump on the fuel pump unit. Floor trim behind the rear seats comes up and the pump unit should be on the passenger side. Don't force anything cause I think you need a special tool to release the fuel line. We don't touch them till the 96000km service so I haven't opened one up.

Thanks for the info. The filter is just a sock and their is no filter in the engine bay. Nor have I found one underneath the car. Dealer lists filter on 30 K service for this car but I will wait to get more info before I proceed. I rather not break anything

Would it cause any harm to simply intall a filter yourself in the engine bay.

Mine is located on or near the strut tower, moreover, not much to it- The old can style filter with two steal connectors for the gaslines and simple bracket to hold it the body.

If I ever get stuck with the inside fuel tank filter, thats what plan will be after warranty of course, that is unless there is dire consequences that I am unware of.

Good Luck