Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help identifying transmission...

I called King-O-Matic today (transmission parts supplier) to get a quote on solenoids for my transmission and the guy said he can get any solenoid, but he needs to know what kind of transmission it is. I told him it's a 1990 Subaru Legacy Auto AWD and he replied with 'Yes, but what kind of transmission is it?' He's obviously being difficult on purpose as he won't tell me what he means by that other than saying you need some numbers.

Does anybody have an idea what he is talking about or can provide me with the information he is requesting?

The only thing I could have missed was the 4EAT part. I called back King-O-Matic and spoke with another guy who said the first guy I spoke with was a bit of a wongleflute, but the 4EAT was what they were looking for. If he had just given me some examples, I could have told him right away it was a 4EAT. The price for the valve body solenoids (duty B I believe) for an individual was ~$390CAN, probably much lower if I had owned or worked for a transmission shop that they deal with.

did you see this:

http://www.drivetrain.com/subaru_dt.htm#Legacy%204EAT

call them, what have you got to lose.

then call the first place and speak to the manager. tell him you are doing business with another company beacuse the first guy was a JERK. (he's paid to talk to customers)

The only thing I could have missed was the 4EAT part. I called back King-O-Matic and spoke with another guy who said the first guy I spoke with was a bit of a wongleflute, but the 4EAT was what they were looking for. If he had just given me some examples, I could have told him right away it was a 4EAT. The price for the valve body solenoids (duty B I believe) for an individual was ~$390CAN, probably much lower if I had owned or worked for a transmission shop that they deal with.