Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brumby conversion: EJ22, hybrid AWD center lock, SUCCESS!!!

Phizinza

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over here we only got the mpfi turbos. But all the gl models from 82+ IIRC had the vss in them. I know its a little work to pull the cluster out, but if it's in there then you're almost halfway done. And you wouldn't have to worry about constructing a reed switch that would be in a sensative area like the axle.

Well I gotta pull the cluster out again sometime as it keeps squeeking.. So I'll have a look. What am I looking for on the back of the speedo?

If I dont have it in the speedo and I were to use a crank shaft sensor plus a magnet on the driveshaft DOJ, do you think that would work?

This is one removed from the cluster of an 86 brat, but all of the GL clusters I've seen ranging from 83 forward have had them. However the dl/standard models have not. The black plug shown is for the vss. Black grounds and yellow/red is the signal output to the ecu. Ignore the other plug in the pic, thats the egr reminder light switch.

2007_0418speedo0001.jpg

As for the crank sensor, I haven't a clue. That would be best left to the gurus of electrical devices. And thats definately not me.

Haven't done anything about the speedo yet, but she seems to be happer now for some reason.. :confused: Still a random idle but not as low anymore.

Also I went out driving for a bit today on the back roads.. After that I have decided I'm not going to turbo Inferno til I grow up a little. I think I'd just kill myself... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, up to the top we go again!

I pulled a EA82 cluster apart and found its speed sensor.. I don't really know what I was looking for but when I found it I was sort of supprised that it is just a magnetic swtich. Got no idea why that supprised me but eh..

So I've got some magnets and I've got the little switch. I plan on fitting them to the rear of the gearbox to read off the propshaft. Plenty of silicone and some kind of mount for the swtich and it should be done..

I'm pretty sure now my fuel surging, cuts, high idle and ruff running is due to this VSS code. That's because for the first half hour of driving the car after the ECU is reset it is great, then at around that time the CEL comes on and then the engine gets worse from there on in. And the only code is 33.. So time to fix that.. Although I do have one problem, the bottom of my car is coated in mud from last weekend..... :rolleyes:

Stupid me... reed switch = magnetic switch.. Just showing off my noob knowledge.. So of casuse the speed sensor is just a reed switch, I've been told that a million times.. So here I am not know all these names and I'm building all this stuff.. Some times I find it amazing that I build this things and then trust them with my life considering my limited knowledge....

I'm in South Australia a short drive out of Adeliade. The problem with the speedo is because I am using the dash out of a coupe which has a tacho in the cluster the normal speedo's don't fit. Thanks for the offer but I'm sure I can figure something out.

I've found that the 87 EA82 wagon has a reed switch in the speedo. It reads 4 pulses a rotation. The speedo is about half speed of the output shaft on the gearbox (propshaft.) So with two magnets on the propshaft and the reed switch next to it it should work... However this is not the case, I just can't get the ECU to be happy with it. It is getting some single obviously as it throughs the code up earlier then without the speed sensor pluged in. But it still gives the code.

I've worked out the switch stays on for about a sixth of the rotation and on the original speedo it was about an eighth. Really if I could get it to a quater it should be perfect but I doubt it will work even then.

I don't know why it doesn't work, but, does anyone know if the ECU grounds the speed sensor or does the speed sensor wire have a positive charge?...

The problem with the speedo is because I am using the dash out of a coupe which has a tacho in the cluster the normal speedo's don't fit. Thanks for the offer but I'm sure I can figure something out.

Actually, if the speedo he is offering is from an ea81 GL dash it will work. They are the same setup as yours just read mph in big numbers.

Ahh.. ok.. I looked at a speedo from a standard 82 wagon and it had the odometer inside the speedo unit, where as mine is inbetween the speedo and the tacho..

But anywho

Looks like I've got it working now!

I used the speed sensor from the EA82 cluster and mounted it near the propshaft, two magnets, proper wiring, and it works!

What I done wrong was wire the other side of the reed switch to 12V. Where it needed to be ground (Thanks yegoshin!)

Heres a few pictures, but you can go to my site and have a look at the article if you want to read more.

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ej_conversion_vss1.jpg

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ej_conversion_vss4.jpg

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ej_conversion_vss6.jpg

http://offroadingsubarus.com/ej22swap_vss.html

Still not 100% sure its working, but she drove well for a good 10 minutes and she still has no codes. Where as before (when I had the wiring wrong) she through up the code 33 within a couple of minutes.

I'll update if it doesn't work still...

the reed switch should pulse a ground to the ECU. so one side grounded, the other to the ECU, and it completes the circuit.

EDIT: heh heh....that's what I get for replying before reading the whole thread. glad to see you got it hooked up!!

Yeah, thanks anyway.. MY assumptions keep getting worse and worse when it comes to these electrical things...

I drove the car to the city yesterday and back. I got about 3 hours of driving in and still no error... Glad it's working now.. But more problems (not EJ related gladly, but) the left hood bracket rusted up and then broke pushing that bit that runs along the windscreen up and making a bit of a mess of the whole bracket and stuff down there.. The rear right suspension is making a really bad knocking noise.... And it smells like the car is leaking oil onto the exhaust somehwere... But hey, it's not a Subaru if it doesn't leak oil everywhere.

I am getting to the point where I'd like a new car... But lucky for the little Subie I don't have anywhere near enough money for one.

I just also want to add, the first ECU I was using never gave the code 33 and I wasn't getting all the symptoms that I was getting with the code on the new ECU. So I think the old ECU either had a busted bit inside the speed sensing receiver or it was weirdly programmed not to take notice of it.. The original ECU came from a 89 model and the replacement came from a 91 model.

So I'm guessing although Numbchux gets the code and doesn't get any symptoms it's probably because his ECU is programmed or even built differently to mine and those other people who have told me it won't work without the speed signal.

Weird bloody cars.. :rolleyes:

I just also want to add, the first ECU I was using never gave the code 33 and I wasn't getting all the symptoms that I was getting with the code on the new ECU. So I think the old ECU either had a busted bit inside the speed sensing receiver or it was weirdly programmed not to take notice of it.. The original ECU came from a 89 model and the replacement came from a 91 model.

So I'm guessing although Numbchux gets the code and doesn't get any symptoms it's probably because his ECU is programmed or even built differently to mine and those other people who have told me it won't work without the speed signal.

Weird bloody cars.. :rolleyes:

that is very strange....I get a code, but no symptoms with any of my ECUs, one is the '92 that matches the engine, one hand-me-down junkyard one that I believe is a '93, or the one from my dad's '94.

I just got a temporary backup daily driver so I'll be pulling the dash apart and hooking up the VSS and a couple other things (maybe actually wire the CEL into the dash....). so we'll see if it runs any different after all that.