Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T front springs ... vs EA82T RX front springs?

The following are the specs for a TURBO. Non TURBO are different.

Stabilizer Bar: 22mm

Coil Diameter: 130mm

Spring Coefficient: 25.5 N/m

Outer Cylinder Length: 376mm

Piston Rod Diameter: 20mm

Damping force:

- Expansion: 785 N

- Compression: 490 N

The rear is completely different, so comparing it is moot.

As for the height, the Turbo and non-Turbo share the same struts. The springs are different, but if anything the Turbo spring makes the car sit higher. It has more coils and is stiffer. I personally do not notice a difference between the two in ride height in the front though.

The turbo springs may have more coils and thicker material, but its overall height is shorter than a 4WD spring. From the 84 FSM: Free length for Non-Turbo is 319mm (12.56 in) while the free length for the Turbo springs is 310.5mm (12.22 in). As you can see, they are shorter.

As for the RX springs, they will lift the front of your car an inch or two because their free length is 13-14 inches.

Ok, so from the chart:

4WD RX Sedan (EA82T)

Front Spring Coil Spring Coefficient = 27.5 N/mm

and from the FSM :rolleyes:

1984 EA81T

Front Spring Coefficient: 25.5 N/m

So the EA82 RX springs are a little more aggressive than the EA81T's. Not so much that I'd seek them out.

The EA81T front struts/springs sit a little lower but not enough to account for my coupe's stance, which means it's more likely that the back was clocked up a little. Not that I mind, but if I were to equalize the height and then decided to push the front up a little more, I'd probably go with 4WD front struts and perhaps add spacers under the springs.

Thanks for helping me hash this out, guys. This weekend I'll have to take some shots of my coupe so i can finally show it off! Then you can see what I'm talking about too.

Just for interests sake..... Mine has shorter bilstein struts and springs in the front (lower & stiffer than standard ea81t), and bilstein shocks in the rear. Rebuildable apparently.

No idea if that was a factory option, or if it were an aftermarket thing....

• 2 months later...