Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Was ac an option for 80' Brat?

My 80' brat has a ac unit that has a bearing out. It still works but it is noisy. I have removed the belt and have strapped it with bungy cords to the fender wall to get it away from the engine while I was working on it. I really do not want the unit in the car, but the car is filled with piping for the ac that runs up underneath the dash and glove box. Do I need s professional to remove it or is this something I can do myself?

Or if I can not remove this, does anyone know where I can get it fixed and recharged?

My 80' brat has a ac unit that has a bearing out. It still works but it is noisy. I have removed the belt and have strapped it with bungy cords to the fender wall to get it away from the engine while I was working on it. I really do not want the unit in the car, but the car is filled with piping for the ac that runs up underneath the dash and glove box. Do I need s professional to remove it or is this something I can do myself?

Or if I can not remove this, does anyone know where I can get it fixed and recharged?

Any shop can fix it and recharge it. Get the compressor yourself to save money.

The ac system may have refridgerant in it under high pressure. I can only tell you to let a shop depressurize it since i have an AC license.

nipper

However, without haveing an A/C license i can tell you that if you do not want to keep it just take it off. It gets messy though, so have a towel that you don't care to expend with you. Cover the fittings where they bolt to the pump and remove the low pressure side and let it blow out as much as it will. Then remove the high side and compressor. Once those are gone you can remove the various lines and other things associated with the system, some of the fittings have big sizes and if you don't have them a hack saw works nicely. You can leave all the stuff under the dash as it will no longer be of any use. If you just want it gone find one in a junk yard and get the plastic duct that goes between the blower box and heater core box and swap them out.

I insist on using a towel even if you don't think its compressed. Bought a car once with it on there but no belt and I was told it has been decharged. Get shot once in the face by that stuff and you won't want to do it again, I'm probably luck to still have good eyesight.

If you remove all the A/C pieces I'd like to get some or even all of the parts you discard.Of course,I'll cover the shipping and some beer/lunch money.;)

Mostly want the interior stuff and the A/C bracket,but will take all.

PM or email if you go that route.Thanks,

Paul

And remind yourself that the you just put a hole in the ozone layer.

a HUGE hole. Releasing refrigerent is not a one to one, or even five to one ratio, its a exponential chain reaction.

a FYI, if you see a licensed shop releasing freon into the air, its 10,000$ fine. Gets who gets the procedes of the fine? the person who reports it (or at least thats how it was)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haloalkane

nipper

I'm sure you're well aware of the fact that R-12 is far more damaging than a properly maintained, cat - equipped small car engine. Plus, I'm well aware that electric cars have a very large ecological footprint. Nope, any real change could only be effected by everyone stopping use of IC engines and other pollutants. That being said, I do think we should all make a contibution by not needlessly polluting. So, don't vent R-12 to the atmophere, please.

As a novice with the ac unit I more than likely will not try to remove it myself. What do the license tech's do with the r12 anyway some is going to escape in the air sometimes right? And once they suck it into a holding tank, What is done to it then or where does it go?

Paul If I am able to remove it. I will let you know first before getting rid of any parts. (Oh and I will use the towel trick to. Thanks)

Really I would like the condenser under the dash gone most of all. So I have the room for other gadgets. Looks like now I will be placing the stereo in the glove box area to give me just a little more leg room with the shifter. The plastic bracket sticks right in my calf and it's a bit sore after driving for awhile.

I'm just a little bit worried about drilling down or up into the plastic box covering the condenser I do not want to hit anything with a screw or something.

I'm just a little bit worried about drilling down or up into the plastic box covering the condenser

Yeah,me too...:-\

Easy Killer,go easy...save those parts nice 'n pretty for me and then you're a superstar.;) With beer money!

I'll be happy to email some exploded views of everything you have to deal with for removal.Looks like you've made the decision on the Ozone layer thing,so be careful.Don't ask me how I know but yes,that funky greenish yello foamy stuff,well,it likes to shoot in all sorts of directions...so I've heard....so be careful and maybe donate a couple of bucks to a nature preserve or something :)

Really its not too big of a deal.Just do your release thing,when it stops hissing then start from the front of the car and follow each line to the compressor,and then to the firewall,etc.I'll have to check my manuals for specific instructions for the interior end of things.Nothing too scary there either.

so uh...we'll talk soon,ok?

ok see if this works here are some pics

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/kingwill8/HPIM1614.jpg This is the top view

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/kingwill8/HPIM1613.jpg top/side

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/kingwill8/HPIM1610.jpg back

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/kingwill8/HPIM1608.jpg another top view

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/kingwill8/HPIM1615.jpg through the fire wall

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/kingwill8/HPIM1616.jpg behind the glove box

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/kingwill8/HPIM1617.jpg There is a black box under the glove-box covering the condenser Sorry it is hard to see.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/kingwill8/HPIM1618.jpg glove-box open so you can see the top of the condenser box which looks like nothing.

If there was one in that box of A/C parts you gave me, it's not there now (or at least I can't find it). Check and see if Charlie has two.

I remember seeing it and wanting to copy it.....hmmm :confused:

FPM's do not show A/C at all.Has to be a service/install manual particular to the unit.

Dumping an a/c system full of R12 into the air is kinda like dumping a cup of gasoline into a swamp. It's only a little bit in both cases, but it ************s the environment for everyone, and once you've dumped it, there is no way for it to be removed.

HVAC guys usually have a portable recovery unit. One of my neighbors has one, and I had him suck out my R12 in the loyale. They store it in green propane cans, and love recovering it. It's rediculously expensive to buy, so the 10 minuites it takes to recover is worth it.

If R12 is so bad for the environment. Why would the hvac guys want it. Do they reuse it?

What can you do with it?

My thought with the environment stuff, is that if (we) as a whole Country and say the people in Canada, Australia, and the UK went 100% green. We recycled everything, all are cars were electric or hydro base. We got rid of all the Cows on the farm because they burp methane, and was most vigorous on planting new trees. The rest of the world, would and does not care.

You just can't make me believe that someone starving in a 3rd world country gives a rip about the environment.

So personally 1 cup of gasoline in a swamp just doesn't keep me up at night.

I was upset with the major stuff that pollutes, like oil fields burning for months on end in Iraq, Oil spills from tankers from some drunk Captain running aground, Or the many natural disasters that happen yearly.

Sorry to stand on a soap box!

I'll get off now.

Besides the soap has phosphate that is bad for the environment too.

:-\

If R12 is so bad for the environment. Why would the hvac guys want it. Do they reuse it?

What can you do with it?

"Production of R12 or CFC-12 was halted by the clean air act on January 1, 1996. Today the remaining supplies are product which has been recovered and reclaimed back to a chemically pure state in accordance with ARI-700 standards. The ARI standard is basically a virgin specification. The supply of virgin product is limited as most of the virgin was depleted in the first and second years after production ceased."

My thought with the environment stuff, is that if (we) as a whole Country and say the people in Canada, Australia, and the UK went 100% green. We recycled everything, all are cars were electric or hydro base. We got rid of all the Cows on the farm because they burp methane, and was most vigorous on planting new trees. The rest of the world, would and does not care.

You just can't make me believe that someone starving in a 3rd world country gives a rip about the environment.

So personally 1 cup of gasoline in a swamp just doesn't keep me up at night.

I was upset with the major stuff that pollutes, like oil fields burning for months on end in Iraq, Oil spills from tankers from some drunk Captain running aground, Or the many natural disasters that happen yearly.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/usenv.html

"In 2001, the United States consumed 97.1 quadrillion Btu (quads) of energy, representing 24% of total world primary energy consumption."

This is why what our countries do matters. Think about that, 1/4 of the world's total energy use is being used by one country, with a comparably small population.

This means that each person in the US has a much larger effect on what hapens to the environment than a person in the third world.

http://static.teriin.org/opet/articles/art1.htm

"In 1997, per capita energy consumption in India was 12.4 million Btu (British thermal unit), compared to 351.9 million Btu in the US and a world average of 64.8 million Btu."

But we should stay to A/C, and not turn into an off-topic enviro issues fight.