Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch cable HELP!

I went ahead to replace the clutch cable. got it off, and all, and to get it off i had to take off the pedal assembly via the 14 mm bolt right, off came that braket, and also that return spring and its bracket. Now i cant get this thing back together!!! Its at my school autoshop and i need mabye a picutre for abit of help. Im pretty sure i know how it goes, but how the HELL do i manage to put the cable end on with its pin, then put the pedal assembly up, then that braket that has the return spring, along with the part of the cable that has to bolt holes, that go through the braket also, try to line it up, and screw it all in, i mean theres GOT to be an easier way!!! Im having ALOT of trouble, any help its greatly appreaciated

also does it rout under or over the steering shaft?

I swear, I read a thread very recently that covered this pretty thoroughly, or contained a link to a thread that did. look over the first two or three pages of threads, and click on anything clutch-related.... it came up almost side by side with this thread at one point....

Quite possibly you are refering to my write up on the subject - but it deals with EA81's only. The EA82 is far, far easier. I've done a few, but I couldn't tell you just ATM how it's done as I've never documented it. But they have never given me any more than 10 minutes trouble - not like the 84+ EA81 pedal side..... that's hell on earth for damn sure :mad:. Possibly only beaten by heater core replacements for "badness".

GD

Quite possibly you are refering to my write up on the subject - but it deals with EA81's only. The EA82 is far, far easier. I've done a few, but I couldn't tell you just ATM how it's done as I've never documented it. But they have never given me any more than 10 minutes trouble - not like the 84+ EA81 pedal side..... that's hell on earth for damn sure :mad:. Possibly only beaten by heater core replacements for "badness".

GD

No, but you mentioned that in the thread I am talking about.. I was fairly certain the thread in question was regarding an EA-82 vehicle, and you mentioned your write-up kinda of for ***************s-and-giggles....

Yeah - I think I may have mentioned it for proper routing which is the same for both.

Mostly I wrote that because prior to that there was major knowledge lackage between the early/late variants of the EA81 cable. People talking all kinds of sillyness trying to communicate about doing the job without even realizing there were different types.

GD

oh, so heres a question, do i put the very end of the cable on the pedal assembly, then put it up on its large stud, then try and put the bracket/metal cable part onto its mounting point with the 2 bolts? or is the end of the cable go on after that? ( u know the part with the pin that holds it on)