Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cargo Baskets for the Stock Roof Rack?

I don't really have the tools/knowledge to custom build my self a cargo basket.

What kinda cargo baskets could I fit on top of my Turbo Wagon using the factory roof rack? I'm looking for more cargo room, and a place to put that full sized spare I can't fit under the hood. (for some reason, a 175/70/13 fits, but a 185/70/13 doesn't)

if you pack an air compressor/inflator, you can deflate the 185 enough to fit in there and just fill it up when needed. (If you're rolling an EA82, you've probably already removed that shelf in the spare tire well, right?)

...??

By "that shelf in the spare tire well" do you just mean the shelf that the pin-bolt screws into??? I cannot for the life of me picture what else you could be talking about..

An inflator can be gotten fairly inexpensively.. I'd like to upgrade to one that has the jumpstarter built into it..

Daeron, in the EA82s, there is a little brace that is removable from inside the spare tire shelf/well. It is attached by three screws.. one plastic, 2 metal, I believe...

...??? where at? i cannot for the life of me picture this thing in my car... It may well have been removed already, because I can certainly fit a fully inflated 185-70 R13 tire in there.. granted, the first time I did it it TOTALLY smashed the retainer clip for the windshield washer that was right in the middle.. :rolleyes:

got a photo, perchance? or a more specific location on where I should look on my 87 GL-10 sedan? :-p

And yah, I got my 12 volt campbell hausfeld inflator pump at Wal-mart (the evil corporate megalith of america) for the low low price of ten dollars american. just one nice portrait of alexander hamilton can acquire you the ability to inflate your tires as MUCH as you like!! at the rate of 50 cents per gas station stop, thats only like, 20 inflations before you have saved money!! :eek:

185 will fit in the EA81 spare location fully inflated. I've had many of them in my Brat. You just have to WANT it. And by "WANT" I mean "shove.... hardish".

Example (ignore my hairy, sasquatch arm :rolleyes: ):

02.jpg

GD

The really funny part about this picture is that one of the tires on my brat right now is the exact same tread pattern

The really funny part about this picture is that one of the tires on my brat right now is the exact same tread pattern

That one developed a softball sized "lump" that later turned out to be a broken steel belt. I set it along side the garage and about a week later the belt had ruptured out of the tread. Nasty. That picture is a couple years old....

GD

That one developed a softball sized "lump" that later turned out to be a broken steel belt. I set it along side the garage and about a week later the belt had ruptured out of the tread. Nasty. That picture is a couple years old....

GD

but you still remember all this detail about a tire... :headbang:

oh, I can remember nearly anything.. at any given moment I've got about 30 telephone numbers I can rattle off the top of my head, historical dates from the first time I snapped a timing belt to the inception of the october revolution in russia.... and I can remember halloween of 1983.. two months before my third birthday. I just thought it was interesting to point out that you had, in fact, retained all this knowledge of this particular tire.. its something I would do :grin:

i have an '84 wagon and always thought it would be cool to have one of those gate style spare tire carriers like you see on the back jeeps. angeled up over the rear window for the spare to be mounted to.. not mounted to the actual hatch, never get it open, and the sheet metal on the soob is pretty thin to mount something on, so i thought maybe a bar mounted under the rear and running up the side. am i making sense?