Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is Something Wrong with Me??

I have been driving Rocky ( my 88 XT6 ) on a daily basis cause Bucky ( my Loyale) is down with basically catastophic brake failure..thank the Subaru God for the E brake...Here is the delema..I have had absolutley no desire to fix Bucky...I never thought I would here myself say anything bad about him but... He is sooo underpowered..granted he gets fantastic gas mileage..but the XT6 isnt all to bad either...only raised my weekly gas budget by $5.

I want to do the rear disk swap and my mechanic friend believes the failure is caused by a combination of the bad wheel bearing and a blown seal/valve in the booster...between the master and the booster ( I have a spare!)

Here is the sad part...I feel the XT6 is a much better built car along with a much safer car and I am starting to feel that I have out grown the good old EA82 and its time to move on...I dont have the time or money to do the EJ22 swap or a 4WD swap ( I would prefer to keep him FWD to save on wieght). I go out every other day and start him ..let him run for 15-20 minutes...cause I hate what letting a car sit does to the seals.

Anyway..Is this normal..should I feel this bad about this??

there is nothing wrong with you. you have a new toy, and you are enjoying it.

did basically the same thing when Hildy was down after going in the ditch - for a while i wasnt in a big hurry to get her fixed, i kind of enjoyed driving the coupe (and i didnt have the cash for replacing the glass) but after a while i began to miss Hildy, and all her little quirks, which motivated me to finish up the repairs and get her back on the road.

give yourself some time before thinking there is something wrong - took me almost 2 months to get Hildy back on the road.

and personally - i would leave Bucky as a 2 whl drive - just fix whatever is wrong and keep him the way he is...just my .02 cents

Absoulutely normal. My XT6 has been sitting for months, waiting for a engine and tranny transplant. I have evrything, its just a matter of doing the labor:rolleyes: But I have a couple other Soobs to drive and I'm really enjoying my RX right now.

But you need to get Bucky fixed, he is going to be your back up car. He may sit there for a while, but I can guarantee you, that XT6 is going to need work sooner or later and its going to be down for a little bit.

The only mod I would do is putting rear disc brakes on and leave him the way he is otherwise. The simpler the better;)

No, nothing is "wrong" with you, there is little doubt your EA82 is a dated design and you find yourself in Subaru heaven driving an XT6, but once Bucky is fixed up and "roadable" again, and you drive him, all those good memories will flood back in, and you will fall in love with him all over again.

I had the very same thing happen to me when I picked up my "newest" Loyale, and believe me it's "tough", but the memory thing got going, and I just can't wait until all the snow goes, and I can spend many hours bringing it back to it's former glory.

Nah, 'tain't nothing wrong with you Lassie, 'tis perfectly normal. Mostly has to do with the "Yee Haaa!!!!!!!!!!!!" factor of the XT6......

Bucky probally has more "get-up-and-go" than my '86 BRAT, but switching between the BRAT and the 6 is 2 different worlds of driving. Love driving the 6, but miss driving the BRAT after a day or two. The 6 is going to get me a ticket one of these days, I just love pushing the envelope while driving the 6.

Do the rear brakes and keep Bucky around. Nothing wrong with having 2 (or more) Subarus in the driveway. :headbang:

I used to have a 2000 Legacy GT Limited with all the options.... REALLY nice car, but I got married and needed money so the car went. Now I drive a 93 Loyale and while it's not nearly as nice as the Legacy, it's a whole lot more practical for hauling things, don't have to worry about messing any leather interior and well, I'm just happy to be driving a Subaru again!

-Doug

It's OK Connie.

Unfortunately, after spending time in the '6 you may find that the old EA isn't what it used to be. Fixed what's broke and keep him for a backup.

You may find that the next step is into a EJ series vehicle as well. Don't be afraid though. It is even better than the original. Those that will argue have never owned a good Impreza or Legacy.

Don't give up on your "Bucky" though. He has been a good companion through rough times. And will be there to back you up again.

Ken

Where's your heart! How could you do this to your old friend!

Just kidding...........

Enjoy your new love, but in the meantime, mend your old buddy. Not depending on it everyday will allow you to have the time to repair it correctly. Because there will come a time when your new love lets you down and you need that old friend to lean on.

I need a hug now...............:rolleyes:

it is ok to be sensitive to cars feelings....thats what makes us car "nuts".

just don't let it get to the point where you have three or four sitting around that you feel "bad " for.:cool: i know i do.;):grin: projects pile up real quick.

Yeah, beware of the project pileup.... After a while, you'll go back to the old ones though. If I get a new car, I drive it all the time for a while, but then I miss my old one and drive it instead. Last fall I was driving my VW rabbit most the time, but then I got the subaru running and I haven't driven the VW more than once or twice since. But I was just looking at it parked in the snowbank the other day and awaiting enough snow to melt so I can drive it again and park the subaru for a while.