Ultimate Subaru Message Board

9004 to 9007 headlights

Last night one of my low beams stopped working so I was looking to get some replacements and noticed that the 9004's and 9007's have the same connector. I did a little searching and found this site, which gives an explanation on how to do the conversion. Any thoughts or comments? Seems pretty easy and gives better output. Are there better cheap upgrades that can be done?

Last night one of my low beams stopped working so I was looking to get some replacements and noticed that the 9004's and 9007's have the same connector. I did a little searching and found this site, which gives an explanation on how to do the conversion. Any thoughts or comments? Seems pretty easy and gives better output. Are there better cheap upgrades that can be done?

I haven't done it *on purpose*, but when I bought my Loyale I noticed that one light was brighter than the other. It turns out that someone had installed a 9007 on the passenger side instead of a 9004. It seemed to work just fine electrically, but it didn't fit the lens opening (the little nubs don't line up), so the previous owner just sort of wedged it in place and cranked the locking ring down. I replaced it with a 9004, but I saved the 9007, so I may have to investigate the swap (heck, I already have one bulb!).

- Ian

Does any one know the amp draw of the 9007's as compared to the 9004's? To avoid possibly burning up the wiring I was thinking of wiring in relays. I do a lot of night driving have SS ultras and would like a little more light than even these put out.

I just got done installing some Silverstar 9007's and I'll have before and after pics up hopefully later tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know if it burns up the wiring, but I don't think it'll be a problem.

Does any one know the amp draw of the 9007's as compared to the 9004's? To avoid possibly burning up the wiring I was thinking of wiring in relays. I do a lot of night driving have SS ultras and would like a little more light than even these put out.

Compare the wattage of the bulbs. If they're the same, you're A-O-K.

Be Careful!, those 9007 comparin´ to the 9004, the only change is the Position of the Filaments, so, maybe doesn´t work good to illuminate Low and High Beams on a Subie´s Headlight, ´cos instead of Goin´ up and Down, the light shall go Left and Right, and Also the Bulb´s Base hasn´t the same Lines cut in the same place.

I suggest you, instead of Changin´ from 9004 to 9007, Change the 9004 to 9104 Rally Bulbs. for Mo´ info, read the Post Nº 46 of This Thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68913&page=5

Good Luck! :)

Have before and after pics. Not a great difference in the pictures as far as beam pattern, but the light reaches further instead of wider and the silverstars are much brighter. First one is with the 9004, second is with the 9007 and I included a front shot of my Loyale with the driving lights on just cause I could.

post-13450-136027621013_thumb.jpg

post-13450-136027621032_thumb.jpg

post-13450-13602762104_thumb.jpg

my stock headlights look just fine, as good as your "after" photo.. I cant believe what I am saying, myself, but thats what the photo makes me think..

I have always wondered, why cant we take a stock headlight setup, and rig the high beams up so that both high and low beams illuminate?? would that drastically shorten bulb life? because the way I have my stock headlights adjusted right now, I couldn't ask for much more than to cruise down the road with both sets on, without having to hold the selector switch halfway between high and low.. :grin:

I have been meaning to post my own thread about this, but I will steal this one thats already alive to see if i get a bite.

There are lots of things that can be done to help dim stock headlights; ditch the entire sotck wiring, for instance, and use the switched wires to switch relays, which supply the headlights with power through nice new wires.

Anyone who would like a more detailed description of how to do just that can feel free to PM me.. And I don't want to sound like a schmuck or anything, I just wonder why some cars headlights seem insufficient where others do fine. My car has its fair share of rust and poor electrical connections (the rear windows that could, "i think i can, i think i can..") but the stock units seem A-OK to me.

I suppose, for the purposes of scientific clarity, I must add that I spent four years driving a datsun 280Z with a 50 amp alternator and the absolute worst electrical system even seen on a running daily driver.. her headlights were virtually blinding.. meaning that I, the driver, was virtually blind.. :rolleyes:

There's quite a bit more light than the photos show. This all started cause I had to get a new bulb anyway so why not find something slightly better to install instead.

I'd think that the only absolute must wiring upgrade for running with both hi and low beams on would be the ground as the high and low already have their own dedicated wires. Could probably rig up a relay or set of relays to keep the low beams on when you turn on the high beams. I've got my driving lights adjusted to make up for the lack of low beams when highs are on and also set a bit wider than the high or low beams. Keeps me happy, but I'd love to mount some on the roof or something like that so I can light up the countryside:Flame:

I haven't done it *on purpose*, but when I bought my Loyale I noticed that one light was brighter than the other. It turns out that someone had installed a 9007 on the passenger side instead of a 9004. It seemed to work just fine electrically, but it didn't fit the lens opening (the little nubs don't line up), so the previous owner just sort of wedged it in place and cranked the locking ring down. I replaced it with a 9004, but I saved the 9007, so I may have to investigate the swap (heck, I already have one bulb!).

- Ian

hah! i did the same thing on my loyale when i first bought it. it didn't fit but i couldn't return the bulb at that point so i just trimmed the bulb socket a bit and it fit fine. my high beams didn't work though, and one was more bright so i wound up buying the right bulb in the end.

I tried the passenger light without switching the wires and the high beam was switched with the low beam and low beam when high activated. Switching the two wires took care of that. I've run them on both high and low for quite a long drive and still haven't burned up any wires, so the amps and watts aren't different enough to cause any problems.