Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Might want to check out the stuff at good 'ol Harbor Freight. I think the main thing you need to do a windshield is some piano wire with handles to 'saw' through the existing windshield's sealant.

Thats what I've heard.

What would be the best to reseal it?

You'll have to use an automotive urethane sealant. The piano wire will work if you're patient and the weather is warm. Take the broken windshield out first so you have a little practice. Practice getting the piano wire through the sealant several times, as that's where it's most likely to crack the glass.

[...]I'll most likely be using the windshield from my 90 parts wagon, how difficult would this be, any tips or tricks to make it easier?

It may or may not be obvious, but the windshield is an important component relative to overall body integrity -- the car's, and yours if there's ever an accident. Therefore it's very important that you get a good bond; clean the mating surfaces well and follow the directions for using the adhesive (including temperature it can be applied at and the "drive away" cure time before using the car -- cold/dry air substantially lengthens the time needed for moisture-cure urethane).

Be careful not to nick the edges of the replacement glass; sometimes what initially looks insignificant can become a crack spreading from the nick towards the center of the windshield over time.

You should probably test-fit the glass dry for proper fit and alignment before using the adhesive and mark the alignment with pieces of tape on the glass and body. That way, once you lay down the adhesive bead you can place the glass without having to move it around much.

The best thing to do is to take it to a glass pro, and have him put in a brand new windshield. Your car and your life may depend on it if in a serious accident, I have heard of a few horror stories of people dying in accicents because of an improperly installed windshield.

Ever check the price that your insurance company pays for a windshield replacement? It's about 1/4 the price that the glass company tries to charge an "off the street" customer. In other words, if you go for new glass replacement, check around and aggressively negotiate your best price. Otherwise, you're getting hosed.

Ever check the price that your insurance company pays for a windshield replacement? It's about 1/4 the price that the glass company tries to charge an "off the street" customer. In other words, if you go for new glass replacement, check around and aggressively negotiate your best price. Otherwise, you're getting hosed.

Well I bought the car like this, and need to get it tagged and stickered before I can drive it legal. So the insurance wouldn't do anything for me

I fix "do it yourself" installations regularly. Over 90% of the jobs by persons not trained in proper procedures are in grave danger if they are ever in an accident. This is not something you want to do yourself unless you have someone who has some clue as to what they are doing.

What most find out is that by the time they spend the $ on the used windshield, tools, adhesives, primers for glass and body, etc., etc., they could have paid a pro to put it in properly for just a little more money. Keep in mind that this is assuming you do not damage the car during removal or installation, break the glass or the likelihood you will have to pay someone later if you screw up. (if we have to re-do a DIY job, that is an immediate $75.00 additional cost on top of the regular costs)

At least make a few phone calls to several different glass companies in your area and get some pricing. I am quite sure it will be worth your time to check on it before you dive into it yourself. If you do end up doing it yourself, PLEASE, do some reading on the internet for some instructions on doing a safe and proper job. It really is important to get this information from a reputable source, not someone who did it one time!!!

I fix "do it yourself" installations regularly. Over 90% of the jobs by persons not trained in proper procedures are in grave danger if they are ever in an accident. This is not something you want to do yourself unless you have someone who has some clue as to what they are doing.

What most find out is that by the time they spend the $ on the used windshield, tools, adhesives, primers for glass and body, etc., etc., they could have paid a pro to put it in properly for just a little more money. Keep in mind that this is assuming you do not damage the car during removal or installation, break the glass or the likelihood you will have to pay someone later if you screw up. (if we have to re-do a DIY job, that is an immediate $75.00 additional cost on top of the regular costs)

At least make a few phone calls to several different glass companies in your area and get some pricing. I am quite sure it will be worth your time to check on it before you dive into it yourself. If you do end up doing it yourself, PLEASE, do some reading on the internet for some instructions on doing a safe and proper job. It really is important to get this information from a reputable source, not someone who did it one time!!!

Just for reference, assuming a non DIY job, how much would you charge for a windshield install in a 91?