Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Legacy - vent/heat/ac/defrost buttons stick

Guest pelagic30

I thought this problem would be more common, since I have two legacy's and they both have the same problem, but I did a search and found nothing.

Anyone else have a problem with their air system buttons not working ? I assume that they are vacuum controlled and either worn out or dirty mechanisms, has anyone fixed these ? What did it take to fix ?

Thanks,

Guest Legacy777

what do you mean buttons stick. Are the buttons physically sticking, or is nothing happening/changing when you press the buttons?

It is a common thing on some higher mileage first gen legacies. Mine does it sporadically. A button pushing dance will usually fix it for a while. The vents are operated by a motor. whether that motor supplies vacuum or uses electric.....I'm not 100% sure. I've been meaning to get under there and see what's going on. I believe it's an electrical issue, but not sure exactly what or where.

Guest 97svx

My 95 Legacy had sticky buttons from coffee being spilled on them. Pushing one button in would not cause the previous button from popping out. Had to take the assembly out, washed it out with water, replaced the illumination bulbs, and it worked fine after that.

Matt

Guest Setright

My 1990 does not use vacuum. There is a mechanical arm that is moved by a motor.

Taking off/out the glovebox should give you access to it.

Guest GBianchi

The control is electric, mine stops working at times and a good thump on the dash gets to respond, not a technical fix but it works:p

Guest pelagic30

I like that fix... thump on the dash. Thanks for the advice.

The twins will be easier to live with if this is fixed.

90 Legacy L 2WD

90 Legacy L AWD

Guest EOppegaard

I had this problem on my 93 wagon, I ended up spraying electrical contact cleaner in-between all of the buttons, and then just worked it in by hitting all the buttons.

However the thud may work just as good :-)