Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Right on! I'm half way there with my '95 Leggy 2.2 (300 k. km.) I hope to make it 500 k. km.+ It's a second owner unit, mostly highway driven with no rust or collison damage. I've put on 60k. km. in the past year since I began driving it. This time I did have the O/P changed @ 250 km. My '91 Loyale has 600 k. km. on the odo but it got there with a transplant. I didn't know about replacing the oil pump and the original 1.8 L motor calfed at 400 k. km. :~( The transplanted engine is awaiting a head gasket job - a pin hole leak on a heater hose caused it to overheat resulting in the gasket failure. My son plans to drive it once we get the heads done. My '86 GL did close to 600 k. km. on the original engine before the body rusted away. They do seem to be tough cars! :clap:

The only thing about some of the 96 engines is that they have solid lifters that need adjusted every so often. The 89-95 EJ22's have HLA's that adjust themselves.

My Brighton is a 96 but built in september '95. It has hydraulic lifters.

well now you have piqued my interest. how can you you tell , by looking at the engine , which you have, hydraulic or solid?? sounds like 96MY could be either. OR did this change coincide with the 97 interferrence 2.2L engine?
I honestly couldn't tell you for sure. The solid lifters came before the interference design. You can definitely tell the 96-ish engines different from the older ones because they have single port exhaust, not dual port like the 1989-1995 design. I think it would be safe to say that no single-port exhaust engine would have HLA's.

I honestly couldn't tell you for sure. The solid lifters came before the interference design. You can definitely tell the 96-ish engines different from the older ones because they have single port exhaust, not dual port like the 1989-1995 design. I think it would be safe to say that no single-port exhaust engine would have HLA's.

I don't think that's a reliable indicator either. The 96 Legacy I bought from Matt had hydro lifters and single port exhaust. I've never seen an EJ22 newer than that in person, so I have no idea what the other versions look like.

Wow, that's something. Mine (a 2.2L Legacy also) has like 100K only an has a lot of issues, well that's my fault 'cause I bought a cheap lemon whose last owner didn't know much about maintenance, etc. My daddy's 93 Legacy Wagon on the other hand (which I found for him BTW) has only needed a few repairs like a radiator replacement and a cam also other than than is just oil, cluthc, tires, brakes and the usual stuff... (his mileage is about the same as mine) yet he takes it into the country every weekend, through hills, dirt roads, etc. Colombian road conditions are pretty harsh, especially in my city, with lost of potholes, bumps, puddles and dirt roads, plus the 8.000ft altitude and not so good gasoline which takes a toll on all vehicles, even Subarus...:cool:

well now you have piqued my interest. how can you you tell , by looking at the engine , which you have, hydraulic or solid?? sounds like 96MY could be either. OR did this change coincide with the 97 interferrence 2.2L engine?

Transition years can be weird, like 1995 (some have spedo cables some have VSS) to name one oddness. Another mixed year is 1999 .

nipper

My 96' has solid lifters, and single port exhaust.

what is the production date for your car?. it should be on the driver door post.

do the 97 - 99 2.2L engines have solid lifters? maybe they started using solid mid-year when the hydraulic parts ran out.

the 2.2L, 97 - 99 have dual port or single exhaust? seems very inefficient to use single port heads for just one year.

Wow, that's something. Mine (a 2.2L Legacy also) has like 100K only an has a lot of issues, well that's my fault 'cause I bought a cheap lemon whose last owner didn't know much about maintenance, etc. My daddy's 93 Legacy Wagon on the other hand (which I found for him BTW) has only needed a few repairs like a radiator replacement and a cam also other than than is just oil, cluthc, tires, brakes and the usual stuff... (his mileage is about the same as mine) yet he takes it into the country every weekend, through hills, dirt roads, etc. Colombian road conditions are pretty harsh, especially in my city, with lost of potholes, bumps, puddles and dirt roads, plus the 8.000ft altitude and not so good gasoline which takes a toll on all vehicles, even Subarus...:cool:

i love your coffee