Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Welded Rear end on a Daily driver?

wrong, i have a lsd in my xt-6 ft4wd 5mt and i noticed a huge differance the torque split on the ft manuel trannies is floating i have no trouble lighting the rear end up from a STOP in snow while the front doesn't spin, the centerdiff is a true open diff on xt's at least

yep, but you're going in a straight line I assume...that really doesn't work the diffs very hard.

I've felt a huge difference with my rear LSD as long as the center is locked. but with it unlocked and when cornering and accelerating hard (when you'd really work the LSD), I just spin one front wheel.

Driving with a welded diff on dry pavement is not that big of deal once you get used to it.

A welded diff could be a bit of a problem cornering on snow.

An LSD would probably be the best answer for mostly road and some deep snow driving.

I have never been able to find an LSD. They don't exist in JY's around here.

The ones I have seen on the board here are more than I wanted to spend.

I welded my diff and now, I use it on off-road only.

I have it easier than most, but I can remove/install an axle in less than a minute. (whack, whack, pull, pull, Done! 32 seconds):banana:

Im newb here.

So If you weld your rear diff on say a loyale with pushbutton 4wd, and you currently in front wheel drive mode, your rear tires will still spin at the same rate but they wont be powered?

Correct. Both rear tires will be locked together (left+right), but not be receiving power from the tranny.