Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto transmission (how to use it ?)

Had a 3 speed Leone 1986 automatic , Since 10 days a 1993 Impreza , 1.8 and 4 speed auto transmission.

The user manual gives very little explination , WHEN to put it in neutral .

In a stop for 3 minutes ot 3 seconds or never ? Seems stupid this question , but I don`t know it............What is best for the car and gasoline use ?

Then there is a `power` light . I see it only at starting of the engine , then it goes out , never lights up if I push the accelerator hard....

(the manual says , it should )

There also is an `economic` button , stil have to find out the saving(s)

For me it seems that these last two functions are in one way or another related but again no explication or exemples...

Last . there is a `manual` switch . should lock the 2e or 3e speed ,

good for icy conditions ? Not so much used in Brazil....

Any other tips for the 4 speed auto transmission ?

Thanks for any input !

Generally speaking:

You never change from R to D untill the car is fully stopped (or D to R).

When you park (if on a hill) you first apply the parking brake, then put the car in park (this avoids placing a load on the parking mechanisim). You should set the parking brake when parking on level ground, but no one does that.

D is for all normal driving.

D3 is used (in my opinion) when in hilly terrane and you feel the car doing alot of shifting, or for engine braking (same as downshifting a stick)

D2 is used for starting off in snow or engine braking

D1 is used like 1st gear in a manual or for engine braking.

You can move between D-3-2-1 with the car in motion, and use the gears just like you would if the car had a clutch.

The car never has to be placed in neutral at a stop unless you want to.

The economy button just changes the shift parimeters to be more ecnomical. I dont know if the saving are noticable.

If this tranny is in a car new to you, get the fluid changed, and change it every 3 years.

Never ignore a flashing light on the dash.

Is this a 2wd or a 4wd.

The hold buttons someone else can explain, or it may be in the stickies section.

nipper

Thank you , most of the things you told me are known to me.....

But stays open :

WHEN to put it in neutral .

In a stop (trafic light) for 3 minutes ot 3 seconds or never ? Seems stupid this question , but I don`t know it............What is best for the car and gasoline use ?

Then there is a `power` light . I see it only at starting of the engine , then it goes out , never lights up if I push the accelerator hard....

(the manual says , it should )

There also is an `economic` button , stil have to find out the saving(s)

For me it seems that these last two functions are in one way or another related but again no explication or exemples...

I know that most is just theory , saving gas with auto transmissions anyway is an ilusion......

Thanks...........

leave it in drive will driving. there's no reason to put it in neutral while you're driving around.

the POWER light should light up when it downshifts. why it is not, i do not know. if it flashes 16 times at start up, then the transmission has a stored code (similar to the check engine light - the POWER light flashes 16 times at start up if there's a problem).

When I am cursed with driving an automatic... I stick it in neutral if I have a long hill to coast down or if I'm going to be stuck in traffic for more than 30 seconds or so. According to owners manuals, you should only do it when you're going to be stopped for several minutes, but some of us don't like keeping our foot on the brake. It's fine to do, just don't treat it like a clutch if that's what you're used to driving, putting it in neutral at every stop or anything.

The power light comes on when you stomp it, and changes to a more aggresive shift map (holds gears longer).

Manual mode only works in 2 and 3, where it holds it in 2nd or 3rd (but will start in 2nd).

if you go to endwrench.com, there are articles about the auto transmission and how it works.

I put it in neutral sometimes when I'm stopped. You can do it if you want but don't have to.

The "Power" mode engaged when you press the accelerator pedal quickly.

You dont have to floor it or smash it (!), just press is quickly and the power light will stay on till you'll release the pedal.

Had the same model and the same car like your - but with an 1.6 engine (EJ16).

It was a bullet proff car. bought the car in 1998 when it was 5 y/o from an old nice man (1st hand) that drove the car only 29,500km.

Had it 6 years and drove it almost 100,000KM with 1 small problem: Engine temp sensor (check engine light was coming up somtimes - scanner says its the temp sensor. replaced it and the problem solved). Besides that - regular maintenance. Take care of the front CV boots. replace them with original boots (last for many years !). If you drive most of the time "city", replace the transmission fluid every 40,000km or 2 years if you use synthetic fluid. If you use mineral oil - change it more frequently.

All the other fluids as the manual says. I've changed every 2 years all the fluids (brake, transmission, differential, radiator).

Have fun

Itzik