Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New bling for the RX, but with function

I got the gauges and a-pillar pod on Ebay back around X-Mas time. Boost gauge, temp gauge and oil pressure gauge. I finally got around to installing them. I need to line them up a little better and install the correct sender for the water temp, but in all....I like!:headbang:

The gauges have 7 different colors to choose from:-p And when the car is off, the gauges are dark. Not the best pics, I was in a hurry:rolleyes:

gauges1.jpg

gauges2.jpg

Looks nice!!

minor threadjack..

I am SERIOUSLY not a fan of gauge pods (but that looks great) so my big question has always been, would it be possible to butcher the original gauge cluster, and jam aftermarket oil pressure and water temp gauges in there???

I ask because, seriously.. wouldnt you REALLY like to put an air/fuel ratio gauge (I call 'em stoichiometers) and maybe, oh say an oil temp gauge there? or fuel pressure?

I've always wondered this (always == the last year or so) so I figured I would take the opportunity to ask. I agree with the desire to have good gauges in there for all this, so I am not trying to dis your functional bling.. I just personally would rather avoid the bling, since my car is like, anti-bling.... (rust!)

Looks nice!!

minor threadjack..

I am SERIOUSLY not a fan of gauge pods (but that looks great) so my big question has always been, would it be possible to butcher the original gauge cluster, and jam aftermarket oil pressure and water temp gauges in there???

I ask because, seriously.. wouldnt you REALLY like to put an air/fuel ratio gauge (I call 'em stoichiometers) and maybe, oh say an oil temp gauge there? or fuel pressure?

I've always wondered this (always == the last year or so) so I figured I would take the opportunity to ask. I agree with the desire to have good gauges in there for all this, so I am not trying to dis your functional bling.. I just personally would rather avoid the bling, since my car is like, anti-bling.... (rust!)

I was looking at the original gauges wondering how to block them off. But now that you bring up the A/F gauge, which was my next procurement, that sounds like a idea. I have a panel I could experiment with.

I've been thinking about getting a small dual gauge panel and mounting it in front of the existing temp and oil gauges.

Something like this:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2008946/p-2008946/N-111+10201+600010337/c-10101

nice work Turbone!

I've also thought about cutting holes in the dash next to the clock....

I've been thinking about getting a small dual gauge panel and mounting it in front of the existing temp and oil gauges.

Something like this:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2008946/p-2008946/N-111+10201+600010337/c-10101

nice work Turbone!

Thats an interesting point, simply install a small gauge pod IN FRONT of the two offensive stock gauges... I kinda overthunk that one, although full integration into the factory pod might still be doable, and would definitely look cleaner.

Now if someone else winds up going and doing this, I am gonna want nice pretty high res pictures.. but its gonna make me uber-jealous...

Anything external will have wiring exposed and if you hack up your dash, well its that way forever.

Alot of the gauges are 2" and should fit in the area of the originals. I have a hole saw thats 2" and a old gauge cluster. I think some expermintation is in order.

Anything external will have wiring exposed and if you hack up your dash, well its that way forever.

Alot of the gauges are 2" and should fit in the area of the originals. I have a hole saw thats 2" and a old gauge cluster. I think some expermintation is in order.

Thank you, even if you do not post the photos elsewhere, I would appreciate an email with them... I have wondered this much, and if it works it also greatly simplifies the elimination of the digidash, because you could also simply install "real" gauges in place of the stock ones for everything but the speedo, the tach, and the fuel gauge...

You can get aftermarket speedometers and such from Autometer, I've thought about just making a panel that fits where the old gauge cluster would mount, and cutting holes for various gauges, possibly even the bad rump roast Dakota Digital gauges ($$$) but I've always had other things I've needed to spend a crapload of money on so it's never gone anywhere lol but if there were a market for it, it'd be fairly easy to make once you got a panel worked out that would fit...