Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch shudder in an 05 Baja

I haven't driven it yet, but my sister mentioned something about a shudder when gettin started. My first thought was the clutch shudder that was prevolent in the 00-01's. I did a search and couldn't find any posts about it happening in the newer models.

Has anyone else had a problem with this? I'll be getting a chance to drive it tomorrow, so we'll see. It is a non-turbo and it has about 15,000 miles on it.

Tell her to learn to drive stick.... :lol:

Seriously though...I'm wondering if the slave for the clutch is going bad. There was a problem with the legacy's back in 02 (My old OB had a serious issue and got a new clutch for it once) There is a TSB on it and just b/c it was on the older cars doesn't mean that it wouldn't effect the newer ones too.

15,000 miles could equal 350,000 if she hasn't kept up on the oil changes. Reason I say this is clutch shudder is sometimes caused by crankshaft endplay (thrust bearing wear). I hope it's a throw-out bearing though, but I've never seen a throw-out bearing fail at 15k. I have seen (mostly women) skip oil changes and cause thrust bearing failure at 15k.

good luck