Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT Turbo Woes

Hello everyone,

Been a while since I posted. The XT's been running pretty well until last week, when I noticed a coolant leak around the turbo. I didn't think too much of it until I pulled the turbo off ( have to to access the coolant lines to replace/tighten fittings ). I happened to check radial and axial play and noticed that the exhaust turbine moves side to side at least a mm, and makes a squishing noise.. :( I'm guessing the turbo is shot...

So, I have a couple questions:

1) The books ( Haynes/HTKYSA - haven't checked my FSM yet ) strongly recommend against attempting a turbo rebuild.. This good advice? Or can I attempt one? Anyone ever successfully rebuilt theirs?

2) Are there any good places to get the replacement turbo besides obvious JY / ebay?

3) What turbo belongs in the 1986 XT? I have a VF2

( http://mrroot.net/soob/originals/turbo2.jpg ) in there now, but I know the previous owner replaced it with one from the JY. Parts America claims it should be a VF4 ( http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=HO3&mfrpartnumber=62677&parttype=492&ptset=A ). Anyone know the details on what turbo goes where?

As always, I appreciate the USMB's infinite wisdom.

Cheers

There's like three turbos that go on the motor. All of them the same, except some are missing the water cooling bits.

I've seen VF2, VF4 and VF7. However, note, only the Subaru turbos will bolt up, as the other brands that use them (Ford/Mazda...) use different flanges.

My uncle has about half a dozen turbos that we have referred to collectively as "those subaru turbos" since he acquired them with a HUGE amount of datsun parts about five or six years ago..

I do NOT *know* that they are what you want at all, BUT I will endeavor to get to them and photograph them for identification purposes at some point this week.... it is something I have been meaning to do anyhow, and since I am gonna be at the shop there is that and a few NOS OEM items that I need to sell here....oddball stuff, some distributors, a carb, a windshield wiper motor.. lots of oddball stuff.

I almost don't want to say anything, because I can't make any promises and I don't want to get your hopes up if I am wrong/can't get around to it/insert other reason I might regret making this post later here.... BUT in the end, I made the post and I will make an effort to look further into this. Rest assured you will be the first person I talk to about anything, AND we won't be asking for too too much. Something tells me my uncle will appreciate moving this stuff, and that should influence his asking prices...:clap:

I almost don't want to say anything, because I can't make any promises and I don't want to get your hopes up if I am wrong/can't get around to it/insert other reason I might regret making this post later here.... BUT in the end, I made the post and I will make an effort to look further into this. Rest assured you will be the first person I talk to about anything, AND we won't be asking for too too much. Something tells me my uncle will appreciate moving this stuff, and that should influence his asking prices...:clap:

Outstanding! Thanks for the info.. I would be very interested in anything you may have, turbo and otherwise. :banana:

Thanks!

So, I have a couple questions:

So anyone else with information? :rolleyes:

Also, what _would_ happen if I put that turbo back on, and say 10k miles down the road it fails catastrophically. What's the worst damage I could expect? What about the most likely damage ( as opposed to worst case )?

Cheers

So anyone else with information? :rolleyes:

Also, what _would_ happen if I put that turbo back on, and say 10k miles down the road it fails catastrophically. What's the worst damage I could expect? What about the most likely damage ( as opposed to worst case )?

Cheers

most likely is a massive oil consumption, since the the bearings are oil lubricated and if the bearings are so far gone that the shaft can be moved about, oil will get between it and into the compressor/exhaust housing

other then that, if your compressor wheel collapses (not very likely) the scrap metal will get into your engine, but I highly doubt that ever happening.

oh and it would run like crap, because the ECU thinks there is a turbo but there isn't ;)