Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2008 Diesel Legacy Outback

This seems very good. Really looking forward to the detailed specifications. Because this is the only way for Subaru to become popular for business drivers in Europe.

But again why only 1 engine, why only in the legacy. They should just make also 1.5 or something smaller for the Impreza. I am affraid it will just take to long. And i am not that happy about the marketing strategies subaru uses in Europe, especially in not in holland with the most crapy commercials ever seen on TV.

With some luck this will provide an almost unbreakable block/bottom end for gas conversions, a "million miler". With some more luck maybe some stuff will cross-over to fix the head gasket troubles on the 2.5, only time will tell.

Why would you convert a diesel to gas. We have a 2.5 outback (2005) on gas (or LPG) which can also handle Natural Gas. Disadvantage of natural gas is the milage its still very low and on the LPG its nearly identical to the gasoline milage.

The system we run is socalled LPI (liquid propane injection) which let the car run more like normal liquid fuel injection. Only problem we have is that the computer does some mistakes, while stamping the gas it switches back to gasoline (2nd tank for LPG instead of spare). Other issue is that the LPI installation fills up the engine bay quite good (meaning i would be happy not to service the differential and gearbox oil:)) For the rest it drives superb.

I have a Thread ´bout to Swap a Diesel engine in a Loyale... it is a Project that might come True, see:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64687

Also, About Diesel Boxer Engines, and Subarus that came Diesel in the Past (Other Brands, Rebagged as Subarus), see:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=582561#post582561

Any Comments are Wellcome! :)

• 1 month later...
Finally! I really hope they bring this to the US market. I bet it'll get excellent fuel mileage.

It looks like it will be coming to the US, eventually.

"Chief Executive Kyoji Takenaka projected that diesels would eventually be 10-20 percent of sales in the US and Japanese markets as well."

:grin:

source MSNBC via Autoblog.