Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Autoblog reports Subaru more focused on USA

Any ideas on how Subaru could increase sales?

1) Fix their dealer network, they seem to either be really good, or really bad, no in between.

2) Stop ripping us off for parts, be it extra charges for "special" shipping because they don't stock any parts locally, or $20 for a "Subaru key blank".

3) Make cars people want to buy.

How about markeeting the Impreza against the Corolla and Civic in the entry level market but keeping the AWD standard policy unchanged? Not everyone who isn't a male in his mid 20's wants a WRX. Do the same for the Legacy against the 4 banger Camry and Accord.

People who live in the Sun Belt (LA, Phoenix, Texas, the South and Florida) may not benefit from the traction benefits unless it rains, but being to drive on the freeways at 75 mph plus with very stable handling will definitely make a difference.

Get back to basics.... Remember the old Subie slogan "Inexpensive & Built to Stay That Way"? That concept brought more people into the Subie fold than anything else. I agree, position the Impreza against the Civic, Corolla, Cobalt. The Legacy against the Accord, Camry.

SOA has a great "halo" car in the WRX STi, But maybe it's time for a new Alcyone, or maybe even a new Brat. The Baja was a good idea but it really wasn't a Brat was it? How well would a Legacy Coupe with the H6 5spd do.... maybe even a convertible.

I'd love to see a smaller/cheaper entry level car. When my mom car shopping last summer to replace her POS Ford, the first place she went was the local Subaru dealer. Unfortunately Imprezas were very hard to come by, especially one that wasn't relatively loaded. Plenty of Legacys and Outbacks in stock, but she didn't want anything that big or expensive. She ended up with the then-new, in very high demand Honda Fit and really loves it. The dealer went out of their way to get one for her from 300 miles away at no charge. Subaru didn't really have anything that competed on price, availability, or MPG.

If Subaru offered a MT diesel Legacy or Impreza wagon, and it were under $22k...that would be my next car.

Consistently make nice-looking cars. That doesn't mean bland or generic. I like the current Impreza but didn't care for the bug-eyed version. I like the current Legacy and 2nd gen, but didn't care much for the 3rd gen. At least to my eyes, it's like they get everything right except the front lights.

Subaru needs to bring back a cheaper product option and stop making some of its cars so ugly.

Subaru needs to bring back the Brighton "stripper" option for the Legacy line and it probably wouldn't hurt for the Impreza line either. Keep the AWD and make more manual transmissions available in snow country markets. It would be fun to see a "Brighton" WRX line. They've started with the "rally ready" WRX. A Brighton Hybrid-Drive (Toyota) Legacy would be a hot item in some granola/birkenstock markets.

Subaru should bring back something to replace the "Justy." A cheap AWD minicar would find a niche market in snow country.

Subaru tried to market the Impreza against the Toyota/Hondas in the early 90's but that was a disaster. Subaru's are an "odd" car line and they need to capitalize on that.

Of course, they could try to stop making their cars look like modern day Edsels (Tribeca and that Alfa Romero nose thing...). I like the new Legacy design. It's kind of going back to the cleaner lines of the 95 model. They've go to do something about the Impreza though. It's a miracle that Subaru sold as many as they have despite their hideous looks. I quote Car and Driver who wrote about the 2002 WRX "...if it was a looker, it would be too good to be true..."

Just my rant on Subaru strategy...

They need a small Justy replacement. I love my Legacy, but as a primarily solo driver, it's way more car than I need. As it is, my choices are impreza or forester right now, and that's kind of 'settling' because I will need a new car soon. A small AWD like a new Justy would be perfect for me.

I miss my Justy so bad! It would be the perfect 'entry level' to compete with those godawful deathtrap scions that people around here seem to love. (UGH! you can't lean on the thing without the door feeling like it's going to cave or fold). Small, fast, plowed thru snow like any other subie with good tires...

Or make the forester slightly taller so I stop getting heckled that I want a station wagon (meh to me the outback is a wagon, forester is a stumpy suv) cuz you know, that's all about me! :burnout: