Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej fuel lines?

Uberoo

I am upto this stage too.

My questions were going to be:

Will the stock tiny return line be ok with the amount of fuel flowing thru the lines? And for those who have done it, did you adapt the fuel rail return line (same as the supply) down to the smaller EA return line? Also is the return line in the EA81 the same as the EA82? I'm pretty sure the EFI EA82 has the proper size for EFI both ways.

I'm thinking of making an adapter on the lathe to fit the EJ's return line to the EA's return line, and then just running that and hoping that the fuel pump doesn't pump much air when running a low tank.

I figured the Y adaptor pipe at the back of the pump won't work..

Tank fuel - Engine return

..........\...../................

............\./..................

.............|...................

.............|...................

...... Fuel Pump ............

Because if you get air in the line the fuel pump will just pump it around, and that's no good. So you need the return line completely seperate and just going into the tank. But Then I was worried the small return pipe into the tank might not take the fuel flow the pump is putting out and there for would build pressure and maybe burst! :eek:

I'm getting the feeling I am thinking to hard on this one, what has everyone else done? :confused::clap:

I am at the same point too.

On the EA81 from with I figured out, the large hard line on the drivers side is the fuel in. the smaller one on that side is the fuel return line. The one in the middle of the firewall is the vapor line. So if you plug the return line and then get a new hard line and make my own thicker return line that should solve the pressure problem.

Unless of course no else is having problems with their stock system.

BW

the large hard line on the drivers side is the fuel in. the smaller one on that side is the fuel return line. The one in the middle of the firewall is the vapor line.

I think you'll find your self mistaken there. The little one in the middle is return, the biggest one is supply and the size inbetween is vent..

what about for the EJ there is like 2-3 lines that are the same diameter...

Look closely at the fuel rails and the three pipes coming off the left side of the EJ. You'll see one goes into a line that leads right over to the charcol canister, one leads to the right head fuel rail and one to the left. The fuel in goes into the top one of those three pipes on the left side of the motor. Into the right head I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Roughly how much FI grade hose do I need of the various diameters for ej swap?I looked the the hoses and most of it is metal.

IE how much X" hose do I need,How much Y hose do I need to change the return and supply lines.

Look closely at the fuel rails and the three pipes coming off the left side of the EJ. You'll see one goes into a line that leads right over to the charcol canister, one leads to the right head fuel rail and one to the left. The fuel in goes into the top one of those three pipes on the left side of the motor. Into the right head I think.

which right?Right from when you stand in front of the engine with engine in car or right with you in the driver's seat?

The right is the right side of the car. When talking about engines and cars with lefts and rights we normally always mean the objects right or left. Not your perspective on the object.

I bought 3meters of 8mm EFI hose. I used a new soft line return (ripped out the old return) and a few different adaptors. It's all covered in my thread.

I have about 600mm left of it.

Ofcause, on the return it does technically have pressure so normal hose may work... But for safty reasons I used EFI until it got to the tank, then I used the 6.3mm and 3.2mm normal hose for the return into the tank. Tank to pump should always be EFI rated, just in case it can't cope with the vacuum in it.

• 3 months later...