Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Figured Out What Is Wrong with Rocky

I have fallen victim to the split crank pulley failure on the XT6...seems this is what has been causing all the issues...heading out in about 15 minutes to pick up a new one ( cause my welder friend went to FL on vacation) then I will have the old one welded together for future failure...I have resealed the rear window...can't find anything bent with the front wheel...yet but did find some scarey frame rot..but I will get that fixed...learn to weld or pay someone to do it later. Had the Alt tested and it was putting out 15.5 volts ...cleaned all the grounds and battery terminals...so we will see once I get it back together....the crank pulley bolts are a bigger PITA then EA82s...no eay way to shove a screwdeiver into the flywheel....anyway..we shall see

Good deal, I hope that will finally get your proplems straightened out. If you have access to a strap wrench, one of the chain style adjustable pil filter wrenches. You can put a piece of an old belt around the pulley and use the strap wrench to hold it from turning while taking out the crank bolt. I've done this on a couple honda's and its worked out pretty good. If you've got an extra set of hands it's easier though. Good Luck.

do you have a breaker bar connie?

I put my breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt, and then I put a pipe on the breaker bar. the pipe needs to be long enough to go to the lip inside the engine bay where the fender mounts down!

some day I will take a pic so it makes sense, but I have a pipe I threaded the end of and put a flange on... it goes over my breaker bar and sits on the lip of the fender, so that when I get in the car and turn the key :brow: the engine turning breaks the bolt loose.

can't take credit for the idea I stole it from one of the geniuses here

Good deal, I hope that will finally get your proplems straightened out. If you have access to a strap wrench, one of the chain style adjustable pil filter wrenches. You can put a piece of an old belt around the pulley and use the strap wrench to hold it from turning while taking out the crank bolt. I've done this on a couple honda's and its worked out pretty good. If you've got an extra set of hands it's easier though. Good Luck.

with regards to this, the whole reason she needs to change it is that the outer part of the pulley separated from the inside. putting a strap wrench around it just holds the outside of the pulley, which still slips on the inside :/

with regards to this, the whole reason she needs to change it is that the outer part of the pulley separated from the inside. putting a strap wrench around it just holds the outside of the pulley, which still slips on the inside :/

Good call I was still waking up when I worte that...

Well...he is all back together and everything seems to be working again the way it should be ( I found someone local who actually had a good pulley handy..now I will get Rockys old one welded for a spare later) I will run him alittle bit more tomorrow then double check that everything stayed tight..I loctited everything that could come loose. Thanks for all the help guys!!! you Rock :banana: ...and operose...when do you want Rocky to do what you are doing to your friends XT ( the frame rail fixes;) :grin: )??

do you have a breaker bar connie?

I put my breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt, and then I put a pipe on the breaker bar. the pipe needs to be long enough to go to the lip inside the engine bay where the fender mounts down!

some day I will take a pic so it makes sense, but I have a pipe I threaded the end of and put a flange on... it goes over my breaker bar and sits on the lip of the fender, so that when I get in the car and turn the key :brow: the engine turning breaks the bolt loose.

can't take credit for the idea I stole it from one of the geniuses here

This is how I do it also; but disable the ignitor or ignition coil so the engine can't possibly start when you loosen the crank bolt this way.

Took Rocky for a spin this morning...he back talked me alittle at start up but he shut up once warmed up....have to recheck everything and make sure its tight..but he seems to be giving off better heat and not wanting to stumble and stall at stops..plus the volts arent dropping anywhere close to what they were at stops..so fingers still crossed..going to try and installhis new stereo today.