Ultimate Subaru Message Board

borrow tools free

I was in my local AutoZone today here in Connecticut and saw a sign indicating that you could borrow certain tools for free! A short listing of these tools include various AC clutch pullers and installers, clutch pilot bearing tool, exhaust pipe spreaders and cutters, oxygen sensor socket, a variety of gear pullers, torque wrench, brake caliper tool (for turning it in), 30-36mm sockets and ball joint press tools to name a few. There were approx. 60 tools in all but some specified for Ford, GM etc..

Took advantage of that program a few times myself... gear pullers both times, I think.

Basically, you buy the tool at their used price, then return it without any hassle, getting your money back. First time I went, they charged me $20 for a three jaw gear puller. The second time, for the same tool, they charged me $40 :brolleye:. Return it clean and in the same condition, and they have no problem at all with it.

I just wish they'd tack on a five dollar charge or something, just to get a little profit off "renting" them out. I'd feel better, at least, and it'd at least help pay for their time handling the return and what not. :santa:

I'm sure they make money enough on:

1) the various parts you need to replace that you broke while doing that other repair.

2) the guy who threw the tool over the fence in disgust (see item #1 above) thereby loosing his deposit as well as his temper.

3) they are a joint venture with the pharmacy next door and make it up on the sale of bandages etc. associated with the learning curve with any new tool.

4) sale of those smelly tree shaped things to hang from the mirror (always a temptation at the register).

Oh yeah - they totally want you to keep them if you think you'll need it again - you did pay for it after all. It's great cause I didn't know which type of puller would work best on ball joints, so I just tried one. Found out that it wasn't the best choice, but I'm only 10 minutes from them, and I had the right one 30 minutes later.

GD