Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Automatic transmission Impreza 1993 (STRANGE behaveour)

Automatic transmission , 4 speed , elctronically controlled.

There is some strange behaveour if the normal temperature is reached , after about 15 minutes drive . It seems to happen more often if the engine is still at a higher temperature.

Putting into D (from N) , takes about 2 seconds before it really starts to take off....If I first put it transitional in R or 3 , no problem

This happens 1 out of 3 times , the 2 other times , no problem

If the car is cold (in the morning) no problems at all.

The oil seems fresh , nice red color and no burning smell , level is ok.

Anybody knows what this could be ?

Yes but you wont like it.....

1st thing i would try is a fluid flush.

nipper

OK , that is an easy one. Will do it. But the former owner told me that he , quite recently did a flush..And the oil really looks and smells new....

And then : "Yes but you wont like it....." , I can stand the truth , better to know what could be wrong , then have doubts........

Just tell me........

Thanks

When you select a gear with an automatic, you are physically moving linkages and valves. When you go to R or D3 your are filling up a limited amount of the circuit. in Drive there is a lot more to fill up. The delay is one of two things.

(here comes the bad news)

The front pump or the internal seals. My gut feeling is that its the front pump, as opposed to seals. If you want to find out for sure, take it to a shop and they will put pressure gauges on the tranny to see what the pump is putting out.

In the good old days i would wonder if the valve body had a sticking valve, but now with electronic trannies, there isnt really all that much down there to stick anymore.

Since the previous owner did a flush, he suspected a sticking part.

(now the not so bad news)

What happens if you go to D3, then once you get going you put it in D4.

Since the lag isnt in all the gears, I would say the tranny has life left in it.

What happens in the other gears?

nipper

When you select a gear with an automatic, you are .......

(here comes the bad news)

Well , a subaru in this country is like a whale swimming on third avenue....

There is currently one dealer in Sao Paulo active , for the rest of the country still less.

So if there is a problem , fix it yourself !

Anyway , I found after a long search the correct dexron specified oil and followed your first suggestion to flush.

To my surprise and other then the user manual says , 5 liters came out, the double of expected....The used oil seemed a bit "watery" .

The behavieour is much better , I stil will do another change in the weekend as to my calculation about 60% is new the rest is still the "water" stuff.

I hope that this is the only problem , if not there is a real problem

Will give an update in a few days...

Thanks for your input !

watery? hrmmmm

Just out of curiosity, check your radiator fluid. I just want to make sure you dont have a leaky auto cooler (its rare bit it happens).

nipper

sorry for the delay , There where more things wrong , in the meantime.

The former owner is not the honest man on earth.........

Anyway . I did a second flush , this time 4 liters came out the tranny , not this time like with `water` fluidity , like the first time , but more like real tranny oil. (there was never a cooling liquid mix)

The behaveour in much better , now it happens only 1 out of 20 times (the delay when putting into D from N) and only halfway cold and hot temperature of the tranny.

Cold is ok , warm as well.

But my experience is just about 100 Km , town driving , so might change in the comming weeks.

Als other actions are without any problem , smooth shifting ,power and manual modes work fine.

If I continue driving like this , and the delay happens again , is it unwise to make big trips like 1000 miles ? Any tread ot danger ?

Thanks for your help . nice to have some help in the middle of the dessert !