Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hydraulic clutch pedal "sticking" in down position

Guest 97svx

98 Outback clutch pedal occasionally gets stuck in down position and has to be lifted up with toe. Problem is intermittent and seems to be worse as weather gets hot. About a month ago I bled the system and the problem happened once, but then disappeared. Now it is back again.

The last time it happened, I think the lever coming out of the transmission was not pressing up against the push rod coming out of the slave cylinder. Could something be binding inside the clutch assembly? I would hate to take the tranny out only to find out that something simpler was the cause.

The master cylinder had been replaced so I am considering replacing the slave cylinder.

Please help.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Guest theotherskip

there is a tsb out for "customer complaints of the clutch pedel not returning completely after being engaged, or has a spongy pedal feel or a light feel in the shifting pedal while shifting." it goes on to say "This condition may affect certain manual transmission vehicles with a hydraulic clutch system under certarin weather conditions".

tsb #: 03-52-03R

it entails replacing the clutch hose and slave cylinder and bleeding the system.

replacement parts for the 95-02 legacy:

clutch operating cylinder: 30620AA042

hose - clutch: 37251AC001

Gaskets for hose (need 2): 114130151

Guest 97svx

theotherskip, thanks a whole bunch. The TSB describes my problem exactly. My wife is the daily driver but I have noticed a soft feeling sometimes, but most of the time everything is normal. I will replace the slave cylinder and hose and hope for the best. Where can I get the TSB?

Thanks again,

Matt

Guest theotherskip

i got the tsb off of techinfo.subaru.com . $20 for a 72 hour subscription, well worth it. see the sticked post about it. basically, that is all the tsb says, so you don't really need it. a delaer might also be able to get you a copy.

Guest 2Outbacks

I've had the same problem several times with my 98. Nothing was found the first time, the master cylinder was replaced the second time, and the last time it was fixed, my dealer called SOA and found that pressure bleeding of the system is not recommended. Apparently there's a pocket in the master cylinder casting that traps air, so "gravity bleeding" (letting the air bubble out naturally) is required. It's been OK so far this summer, but I haven't been caught in any traffic jams yet to completely confirm the fix.

Guest cookie

I pull it up with my foot and pump it several times and it works for another month.

I suspect it will at least require a new slave and maybe the hose.

This used to be a common problem on Ford commercial trucks that I worked on years ago. The slaves really take a beating compared to the masters.

The last time I mentioned it here the common answer was to bleed it. If it needs bleeding it is getting air somewhere.

Glad someone found the TSB which verifies my theory.

I should change that stuff before it fails, not after.