Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think I want A BRAT

Hello all,

I'm new here. Does that make me a soobie newbie? Although I've always been a diehard Chevy fan, I've always had an interest in BRATs. I think I want one, but I suppose there's a lot to learn first. My intention would be to have a daily driver that looks good, maybe even real good. I have the tools and experience to restore vehicles, but what do I need to know before I buy. I like the idea of a turbo, but are they a headache? What issues (mechanical/electrical/body/frame) should I be aware of that aren't obvious? Should I stick with a manual trans or are automatics o.k? Are parts readily available? What's the going $$ for a decent drivable BRAT. I've seen ~$2k all the way up to $5k. Also, where can I find any BRAT nearby that I can actually see and touch? I'm in Port Huron, MI which is about one hour north of Detroit. Any answers or reference to other threads is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Hey Brian,

Welcome to the board from a fellow brat owner! They are great....GREAT trucks, and are tough enough to endure most everything but rustout.

The automatics......not good. Go with the 4spd for sure. Ive never had a turbo, so the turbo-people will have to chime in here.

You should be able to p/u a *decent* brat for under 2k....and dont let the high mileage scare ya!

Hey bglombowski...

Welcome and yes they are fun and tough little rigs... I bought one and had no idea (first Subaru) what I was doing and lucked into one that is a runner but needed to have tlc so I got it for about $700. (now have brat and 2 wagons)

As for working on them, basic knowledge of mechanics will take you a long way's with these... nothing too scary, just first tiime is always the slowest and many ways lots easier then other cars.

Parts, ebay, Subaru Dealer, this board.. parts are out there and with this site tons of inputs, mostly good unless you do a noobie thing and then they rib yea..:rolleyes: (I am still in the noobie zone...but learning fast.)

There is a book called, "how to keep your subaru alive." or something to that effect, you will need a copy of that, better then the chiltons, haynes etc.. and #12 & #14 metric socket... ;)

Things too look for, rust in the Wheel wells, is a weak spot, the water gets up and around and rusts out into the bed.

You kind of get what you pay for and how much you want to do and do with it. I bought my Brat for my son, loved it so much I looked for another and couldn't find one so bought a Wagon for half as much and just as much fun... Also standard tranny, Hi-Low on the 4x4.

Turbo... no idea.. some day.... some day.. :cool:

It's also great if your not dependant on the rig till you shake the bugs out, you know if it gets sick you not rushed into overnight surgery trying to figure things out, this has helped me alot having my Wagon as a back up.

i have a nice rust free one. $2500 in NY.

its an 82 with all the fixins:grin:

O.k. I'm interested, but I'm still new and... I'm married ($$). Can you see my dilemma? Seriously, my original plan was to buy sometime in mid 2007. However, my plans could change. Until then, I'd like to gather more info. Can I see some pics or talk about it a little more. I'm at work from 7:00-3:30 (Eastern time) Mon-Fri. Maybe PM me or (810) 388-2512.

Thanks.

Hello all,

I'm new here. Does that make me a soobie newbie? Although I've always been a diehard Chevy fan, I've always had an interest in BRATs. I think I want one, but I suppose there's a lot to learn first. My intention would be to have a daily driver that looks good, maybe even real good. I have the tools and experience to restore vehicles, but what do I need to know before I buy. I like the idea of a turbo, but are they a headache? What issues (mechanical/electrical/body/frame) should I be aware of that aren't obvious? Should I stick with a manual trans or are automatics o.k? Are parts readily available? What's the going $$ for a decent drivable BRAT. I've seen ~$2k all the way up to $5k. Also, where can I find any BRAT nearby that I can actually see and touch? I'm in Port Huron, MI which is about one hour north of Detroit. Any answers or reference to other threads is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

I would go for a Brat... shhhhh don't tell my boyfriend who is a subbie lover...I'm a chevy lover myself. I love the way the Brat looks....Good luck on finding one.

O.k. I'm interested, but I'm still new and... I'm married ($$). Can you see my dilemma? Seriously, my original plan was to buy sometime in mid 2007. However, my plans could change. Until then, I'd like to gather more info. Can I see some pics or talk about it a little more. I'm at work from 7:00-3:30 (Eastern time) Mon-Fri. Maybe PM me or (810) 388-2512.

Thanks.

here's a whole mess of pics and info.....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/brats/brats.html

http://www.cardomain.com/id/maximumbrat

this is my brat restoration project, I'm going to be living in Detroit all summer if you need any help!

Sorry to hear about your brat and thanks for the offer to help. So far, I'm impressed with the people and the knowledge here on this forum. I think I'm gonna like this community.

Thanks again!